• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sears Files Bankruptcy

Amazingly enough, there is an Australian K-mart, and it's thriving
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kmart_Australia
Unfortunately for the American owners, although it was founded by the owners of Kmart, it has long been a seperate business.
Woolworth is also still in Australia, although it's a separate business there as well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworths_Group_(Australia)

The Woolworth company in the US is actually still in business, but became Venator and later Foot Locker after closing their department stores:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_Locker

Last edited:
Woolworth is also still in Australia, although it's a separate business there as well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworths_Group_(Australia)

The Woolworth company in the US is actually still in business, but became Venator and later Foot Locker after closing their department stores:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_Locker
There is also Woolworth Holdings Limited in South Africa, with stores in many African countries.

Noting to do with the US Woolworth's.

I noticed that the Radio Shack website has links to other stores that have gone out of business and are now online only, including Pier 1 Imports, Linens and Things, and Stein Mart. They're all apparently owned by a company called Retail ECommerce Ventures. Could Sears and K Mart end up there or somewhere similar?
"In November 2020, RadioShack's intellectual property and its remaining operations—about 400 independent authorized dealers, about 80 Hobbytown USA affiliate stores, and its online sales operation—were purchased by Retail Ecommerce Ventures (REV), a Florida-based company that had previously purchased defunct retailers Pier 1 Imports, Dress Barn, Modell's Sporting Goods, and Linens 'n Things, along with The Franklin Mint."

Soon, there will be only 3 K-Mart stores left in the USA, down from nearly 2,400 in the 1990s: 1 in NJ, 1 in NY and 1 in Miami, FL:

Kmart will soon have just 3 stores open in the United States​

After dominating the retail landscape for years, Kmart has all but disappeared in the United States.

Once the Kmart in Avanel, New Jersey, closes for good on Saturday, there will be just three stores in the continental U.S. — Westwood, New Jersey; Bridgehampton, New York; and Miami, Florida — and a few outside of the country. At the company's peak in the 1990s, there were more than 2,300 Kmarts in the U.S.

And here I thought Hamilton, Montana would last forever and ever. It too couldn't make it and closed last month. There is no Walmart or Dollar General in town, meaning there isn't a good clothing/housewares/discount-type store left in the Bitterroot Valley. Missoula is an hour away.
I passed by an abandoned Kmart in Lewiston, ID last week. Still has the Big K sign up, hasn't been taken down.

In their last few years of existence, I found K-mart stores to be all over the road as far as cleanliness, appearance and what you might find inside. I visited one or two that were quite nice, well-stocked and clean and I bought a handful of things from one of their stores nearly until they closed. Another was just "meh" and nothing special, while I visited a few others that were in a poor state of repair, poorly lit with old, 8' fluorescent tube lighting and merchandise that was akin to what the Big Lots / Odd Lots stores originally carried before they became more organized...Random closeout items, stuff they got as other stores or smaller brands liquidated and the like. Definitely a far cry from their heyday just a decade or so previous.

Last edited:
The KMart I went to most is still empty. What's really unbelievable is that there is an Office Depot in the same shopping center which had to move into a smaller space when Big Lots moved from a mall that is in worse shape. Someone tell me why, since most Office Depots are larger, it didn't move into the KMart space when that became available.

Soon, there will be only 3 K-Mart stores left in the USA, down from nearly 2,400 in the 1990s: 1 in NJ, 1 in NY and 1 in Miami, FL:

Kmart will soon have just 3 stores open in the United States​

This was interesting to me, given that the K-Mart in the town where I grew up CLOSED in the 1990s. But the first one that I remember closing was in Benton Harbor, MI (K-Mart's home state, no less) in 1987.

This was interesting to me, given that the K-Mart in the town where I grew up CLOSED in the 1990s. But the first one that I remember closing was in Benton Harbor, MI (K-Mart's home state, no less) in 1987.
I don't remember the precise date when it closed, but the KMart closest to where I live moved to the other end of town and the only reason I remember when it was still open is that it was the first place I remember seeing a TV antenna designed for digital TV, which I knew was coming in 2009.

When KMart closed, one of the stores that moved in was a Sears appliance store. Big Lots moved from KMart's old location to another space in the former KMart. I remember going to that old Big Lots location in the 1980s but I think KMart had moved by then.

There was a Lowe's Home Improvement in the same shopping center, which had moved to a larger location, and then it moved out and left a big empty space. Ironically, that space is occupied by a store in the same chain that had to tear down a relatively new store to make room for a new and larger Lowe's, which is one of two successful stores in a nearly empty shopping center which includes a section that was a mall. I thought remembering when Lowe's moved out would help me remember the date, but apparently not.

The KMart I mentioned above moved from the other end of town and the old one was turned into a new location of the very first Food Lion (which was called Food Town when it opened). I only remember that the shopping center was there in 1991.

IIRC neither Sears or KMart were major local radio advertisers. Walmart is a local merchant / advertiser killer. Home Depot spends a lot nationally. Kroger spends locally in Atlanta. Kroger has survived Walmart, Publix, Aldi, Winn Dixie, and Ingles. It seems if a chain uses radio in their advertising mix they succeed. How many radio sales people know this? I remember hearing the "radio doesn't work" excuse. I know several local merchant's that used Facebook because it was "free" ended up going out of business. I wonder if anyone has attempted to corollate lack of radio advertising to failure.

IIRC neither Sears or KMart were major local radio advertisers.
That's because they were always represented by agencies.
Walmart is a local merchant / advertiser killer.
Represented by an agency, but does still buy radio in larger markets.
Home Depot spends a lot nationally.
Also represented by an agency, but does spend on radio. Just not in small markets.
Kroger spends locally in Atlanta.
Kroger owns several brands, including Fred Meyer out West. They're represented by ad agencies too, who will buy ads by region.
It seems if a chain uses radio in their advertising mix they succeed.
That's what their ad agencies get paid to do: Determine how to spend the ad budget based on demographic and geography to get the best ads to appeal to the most spending consumer population.
How many radio sales people know this?
All of them. But if agencies aren't spending in your area, it doesn't matter what they know or don't know.
I remember hearing the "radio doesn't work" excuse.
Radio still works, but if there are less businesses who advertise on traditional media, how does radio prove it?
I know several local merchant's that used Facebook because it was "free" ended up going out of business.
Absolutely, but by that point, they probably couldn't afford to buy radio spots, let alone an ad in the local 'Little Nickel'.
I wonder if anyone has attempted to corollate lack of radio advertising to failure.
Was just talking to my old business partner in Eastern Washington State. 70% of the radio stations in larger towns like Wenatchee Omak, and Tri Cities are either in bankruptcy, or looking for buyers before they go under. Another larger regional radio group with stations in Washington, Oregon, and Montana contacted me, and asked if I would be interested in becoming a voting investor, or purchase their stations. Knowing what I know, I politely passed.

Sears to close more than 70 Sears Hometown stores:

More than 70 Sears stores to close across country​

Sears Hometown was touted in a November 2019 news release as a "network of more than 400 independently-owned and operated, dealer-managed smaller-format stores" selling "a range of home products, including appliances, lawn & garden, tools and sporting goods."
Transformco did not provide a list of the closing locations or how many will remain, but stores around the country posted announcements on their Facebook pages, viewed by Axios. An unverified list was also posted on the message board TheLayoff.com.

My guess is that Ellensburg's Sears Hometown store will be on its way out. It looks empty, but I *believe* Union Gap's Sears is one of the last dozen, or so, still open.

I don't mean this to be cruel or disrespectful toward these legacy brands, and I'm sure there are people who are well-served by the remaining Sears or Sears Hometown stores in some parts of the country where they have few other options, especially for older folks or those who aren't internet savvy or who'd rather shop in person, but it's blatantly obvious that Sears and K-Mart are beyond life support at this point. They're rapidly shrinking in numbers rather than growing or even holding steady...So how long do the owners keep the remaining stores on life support and why?

For instance, there are only 3 remaining K-Mart stores. One in NY state, another in NJ and the third is all the way down in Miami, FL. How do they even have any semblance of a distribution system that makes sense or is economical with only 3 stores, all being scattered around like that?

I've said it before but I believe that once Sears goes under completely some of the remaining hometown stores could stay in business as locally owned stores and still keep the Sears sign and name up like I've seen done in places with former Western Auto stores (One in Jackson, TN) and Rexall drug stores (Several in West TN).

The other possibility is that someone buys the rights to the Sears name and runs it as an online only store like has been done with Montgomery Ward and Radio Shack among others. If that happens I don't know if former hometown stores will still be able to use the Sears name.

I've said it before but I believe that once Sears goes under completely some of the remaining hometown stores could stay in business as locally owned stores and still keep the Sears sign and name up like I've seen done in places with former Western Auto stores (One in Jackson, TN) and Rexall drug stores (Several in West TN).

The other possibility is that someone buys the rights to the Sears name and runs it as an online only store like has been done with Montgomery Ward and Radio Shack among others. If that happens I don't know if former hometown stores will still be able to use the Sears name.
Sky City was one of the many KMart type chains that failed. Back when there were a lot of empty ones I wondered why someone else didn't do that.

In at least one case a supermarket moved into the Sky City and a dollar store took over the smaller supermarket location that had been vacated.

The original Food Lion (called Food Town when it began) did that with an old KMart.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom