• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Steaming Companies and Station Groups In Talks to Take Over Local NBA and NHL Rights

I just noticed that the title of this thread says "steaming" rather than "streaming." No need to change it, though. I think we're all pretty steamed about this by now.

That's why you have digital signals. Plus when KXAS had the Rangers, they preempted NBC programming or moved it to KXAS 39. How do i know this....I worked for the Rangers at that time.
I don’t think from a sales stand point, teams putting a lot of games on broadcast tv is possible. Theres no way broadcast tv channels could carry more than 50 games. Its too much for the tv station and there’s no way the team itself could financially sustain thar

Here is some analysis from Barstool Sports:

What I notice in this story is that if you can only stream your local team on Prime. Not the rest of MLB. So if you subscribe to Prime, you can stream your local teams.

Here is some analysis from Barstool Sports:

What I notice in this story is that if you can only stream your local team on Prime. Not the rest of MLB. So if you subscribe to Prime, you can stream your local teams.
That would appear to leave the door open to MLB TV continuing to carry games of all teams, as well as the continuation of the arrangement with ESPN+. It just kicks the blackout can a little further down the road. MLB TV subscribers all seem to want their local teams' games on MLB TV, but it's hard to see how that would be beneficial financially to the local or regional rights holders. MLB and the rights holders could appease the complainers somewhat by getting rid of absurd blackouts like Mariners games in Alaska, and five teams' games in Iowa. Could that happen, or is this again too difficult for the number crunchers to envision working?

Did the station carry the whole season or selected games?
All games. Most were on KXTX but some games were on KXAS. Especially NYY and BOS games were on KXAS.

I don’t think from a sales stand point, teams putting a lot of games on broadcast tv is possible. Theres no way broadcast tv channels could carry more than 50 games. Its too much for the tv station and there’s no way the team itself could financially sustain thar
Well back then The Rangers and LIN/SSG did. Right now the Phoenix Suns have all their games OTA in Arizona.

All games. Most were on KXTX but some games were on KXAS. Especially NYY and BOS games were on KXAS.

That was in the 90s. Do you know what the station paid for the rights? Diamond most recently was paying the Rangers $100 million a year, according to the bankruptcy information. I imagine the Rangers would want a fee near that now.

That was in the 90s. Do you know what the station paid for the rights? Diamond most recently was paying the Rangers $100 million a year, according to the bankruptcy information. I imagine the Rangers would want a fee near that now.
I have no clue, but it could have been similar to what the Mavericks were doing at the time which was a barter deal with the TV/Radio partners and produced the games themselves.

I have no clue, but it could have been similar to what the Mavericks were doing at the time which was a barter deal with the TV/Radio partners and produced the games themselves.

The bad news is Fox Sports made this $100 million deal with the team, and the team has become accustomed to receiving that kind of money. The money is more valuable to the team (especially now) than free exhibition on broadcast TV. The team isn't going to accept less money, and no local broadcaster can afford that amount of money. I can imagine the station accepting the kind of deal it had in the 90s, but that puts all the risk on the team. Neither the team nor the station can make $100 million from selling advertising.

The bad news is Fox Sports made this $100 million deal with the team, and the team has become accustomed to receiving that kind of money. The money is more valuable to the team (especially now) than free exhibition on broadcast TV. The team isn't going to accept less money, and no local broadcaster can afford that amount of money. I can imagine the station accepting the kind of deal it had in the 90s, but that puts all the risk on the team. Neither the team nor the station can make $100 million from selling advertising
Depends on the amount of corporate sponsorships that are sold and the value of the sponsorships.

Back
Top Bottom