• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Subway Sold to

There are a few that are still around but they are very few and far between. I know of a KFC/Taco Bell combo restaurant in Coronado, CA. Pizza Hut used to be in some of these as well, and may still be in some places.
KFC/Bell is still around here, in Lebanon, NH. Back in Connecticut, I recall a KFC/Bell/Hut in Cheshire, but that was several years ago. That local KFC/Bell near me is really bad about having all its menu items available, especially on the Taco Bell side, although I do recall my brother going there to pick up a bucket of chicken and sides for an evening of football viewing, only to return empty-handed. "They were out of CHICKEN!" he reported with a grimace. White, dark, original, crispy, strips, nuggets ... didn't matter; they were absolutely out of chicken on a Sunday evening. How does that happen?

Ruth's Chris was just purchased in May by Darden - the same company that has Olive Garden, Seasons 52, Yard House, Capital Grille, Longhorn Steakhouse and a few other larger chain restaurant brands:
I try to avoid chain restaurants if at all possible. The last exception I made was for Olive Garden two weeks ago. That was because our flight into Denver arrived late, and we were staying in the Northfield area where almost all the restaurants are chains. What was notable was that, even at 9 pm on a Sunday, that Olive Garden was quite busy. Food was OK; while their salads are awful, the pasta is good.

The next day, we found one of two independent restaurants in that area: a Cuban sandwich place named Cuba Cuba. We had lunch there. It was awesome, with an atmosphere redolent of Miami.

And that's today's restaurant review.

I try to avoid chain restaurants if at all possible. The last exception I made was for Olive Garden two weeks ago. That was because our flight into Denver arrived late, and we were staying in the Northfield area where almost all the restaurants are chains. What was notable was that, even at 9 pm on a Sunday, that Olive Garden was quite busy. Food was OK; while their salads are awful, the pasta is good.

The next day, we found one of two independent restaurants in that area: a Cuban sandwich place named Cuba Cuba. We had lunch there. It was awesome, with an atmosphere redolent of Miami.

Agreed. When I was a kid and we traveled and vacationed by car a lot, my parents tended to stick with chains they knew, probably because they knew prices were reasonable and they could find stuff on the menu that was known to everyone in our family. I usually go the other way and seek out local spots in most cases. Of course, sites like Yelp, Tripadvisor and even Google maps can help as they allow you to see the menu, photos of the restaurant and the cuisine, the menu and reviews posted by others, some of which are of course more accurate than others.

One of my sons used to work at Olive Garden some years ago. He will not eat there any longer.

Just about any local sandwich shop run by an owner who cares about his business can make you a better sandwich than Subway for the same price or less.
When I lived in the Bay Area, I often ate at a great deli in Foster City called Plaza Gourmet, tons better than Subway - a better variety of fresh bread and great ingredients.

Their breadsticks are great!
My late FIL owned several restaurants in VA. He used to say the oldest trick in the book was offering customers all you can eat of the real cheap stuff so they wouldn't be disappointed at the paucity of the main dish.

Breadsticks didn't used to be expensive however that might have changed recently.

Yeah----we'll hit the Olive Garden near us once or twice a year (there's a menu item there that my wife really likes), but neither of us considers it when we want "Italian"---there's a real Italian restaurant in the neighborhood for that.

It's kinda like a conversation I had with one of my kids when they were in their early teens:

"Dad, I want Taco Bell!"

"I can do better than that! Let's go to (name of really excellent Mexican restaurant)."

"I don't want Mexican food. I want Taco Bell."

Same thing with Olive Garden. As long as you don't confuse it with Italian food and treat it as its own commoditized thing, it's okay. Once or twice a year.

I think the only KFC/Taco Bell combos left are along interstates. Here in Sacramento, surprisingly, there are KFC/A&W Root Beer combos. Surprising because while KFC is a Yum! brand, a division of Pepsi, A&W is owned by competitor Keurig Dr. Pepper.
We still have some KFC/Taco Bells in upstate New York. There's one near me in Geneva.

"I don't want Mexican food. I want Taco Bell."
Well, that says it all!

Same thing with Olive Garden. As long as you don't confuse it with Italian food and treat it as its own commoditized thing, it's okay. Once or twice a year.
It has its place. For us, that seems to be when travel plans go awry and we need something that's reasonably fast without being "fast food". So we've eaten at Olive Gardens in such exotic locales as Turlock and Tracy.

When I was a reporter, I wound up eating lots of fast food, often on the run. I hope I didn't shorten my life by doing that.

Well, that says it all!

It has its place. For us, that seems to be when travel plans go awry and we need something that's reasonably fast without being "fast food". So we've eaten at Olive Gardens in such exotic locales as Turlock and Tracy.

Places were the locals were thrilled they were getting one.

When I was a reporter, I wound up eating lots of fast food, often on the run. I hope I didn't shorten my life by doing that.

Oh my God---I ate so many lunches from a bag in the passenger seat of a moving news vehicle. NOT a healthy lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom