• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Subway Sold to

I think the only KFC/Taco Bell combos left are along interstates. Here in Sacramento, surprisingly, there are KFC/A&W Root Beer combos. Surprising because while KFC is a Yum! brand, a division of Pepsi, A&W is owned by competitor Keurig Dr. Pepper.
We have one located on a state road in a town of around 5,000. As mentioned earlier, it’s fairly close to us. I know of no others in our area.

Well, and in fairness, McDo's is rather different from McDonalds, American Style. I mean, just meeting the French requirements for food freshness and quality elevates that menu immeasurably, I would imagine (haven't gone yet) and I've seen online that they have things we don't.
I haven't had it either. Doesn't meet spousal acceptance requirements. I would try it once just to see what it's like.

Anything's better than what's going in across the street from CapRadio. It's a donut place called Holes. The banner went up last week---more information on Instagram @pickyourholes

If they think I'm typing THAT into an office computer...
As long as they don't offer free donkey rides. That would be asinine.

Last edited:
Yeah, out west, there was a dominant chain for decades, Winchell's (in fact, they drove Dunkin' out back in the 60s). After the mid-70s, a lot of Cambodian refugees opened mom and pop donut shops and pretty much put Winchell's on the trailer (in fact, the largest of the Cambodian start-ups ended up buying the remnants of Winchell's and keeping the brand pretty much alive.

It's actually pretty fierce out here. I just put "donuts" in Yelp and there are ten places within five miles of my house, not counting grocery stores, old-school bakeries that do donuts and convenience markets.
Winchell’s was in the Kansas City area too and I loved going there as a kid, but now the only Kansas location is in Wichita. They were way better than Lamar’s Donuts.

how does Olive Garden survive in Times Square? Red Lobtser didn't survive in Maine
Well, there are a couple of fundamental differences here.

Maine's tourist industry is considerably smaller, and I'd imagine a big part of anyone's trip to Maine is to have real honest-to-God Maine Lobster that was in the bay this morning rather than the tank by the hostess station.

Times Square is a tourist destination for people from all over the country. Lotta midwesterners getting their first look at New York.

And some of those folks might find "real" New York Italian a bit...intimidating.

For the record, this clip is from four years before the gentleman featured in it rode down an escalator and announced he was running for office:

...Times Square is a tourist destination for people from all over the country. Lotta midwesterners getting their first look at New York.

And some of those folks might find "real" New York Italian a bit...intimidating...
Within a block or two of Times Square -- remember, that's also the Theater District -- there are some very respectable Italian restaurants. Widen the radius to include all of Midtown, the Upper East and Upper West Sides and the Village, and you can destroy your waistline and cholesterol sampling the various Italian eateries. Not to mention some of the best pizza in the world. But as Michael said, very few real New Yorkers head to the Times Square Olive Garden, that's for tourists who want what they know, not adventurous foods that could potentially challenge their digestive systems and ruin the vacation.

Most Mexican restaurants in my area are Tex Mex, which is what is popular with us Gringos, more than real Mexican food. But I'll admit that I like it. A lot of what is in Chinese restaurants in my area is Americanized versions of Chinese or Asian food as well.

Yeah, but there are enough tourists who visit Times Square who don't want to venture from their comfort zones to keep Olive Garden, Bubba Gump, Hard Rock Cafe' and Applebee's in business.
During my years with Heftel/HBC/Univision... and over 5 million miles flown... my team and I would always visit "brand name" restaurants. Only if the local manager or PD took us to a good local place did we go "off the rails" and then, only because someone local had experience.

When we were doing $30,000 or more research projects, we could not afford to be ill.

... my team and I would always visit "brand name" restaurants. Only if the local manager or PD took us to a good local place did we go "off the rails" and then, only because someone local had experience... we could not afford to be ill.
I also did a lot of business travel in my younger, pre-internet years, and for the same reason tended towards name chains or franchises until someone local introduced me to restaurants with established reputations. If desperate, I'd buy the fixings for a meal at a local supermarket, choosing established brands or items from the deli/appetizing counter. Always felt like a safer choice than rolling the dice many miles away from home and my doctor.

I also did a lot of business travel in my younger, pre-internet years, and for the same reason tended towards name chains or franchises until someone local introduced me to restaurants with established reputations. If desperate, I'd buy the fixings for a meal at a local supermarket, choosing established brands or items from the deli/appetizing counter. Always felt like a safer choice than rolling the dice many miles away from home and my doctor.
We always remembered that Ruth's Chris was a "chain". A good retreat after a research project at a community center where the biggest sign in the lobby was about not carrying a gun into the building.

Just a reminder that a chain isn't necessarily protection:

I'd present the other side, but mom-and-pops don't get that kind of coverage. It's difficult to assess whether you're at higher risk at one as opposed to a chain.

We have had great success using Yelp when we travel. Nothing under four stars makes the cut, and I always look at the last year to 18 months of customer reviews as well as the health department score.

We have had great success using Yelp when we travel. Nothing under four stars makes the cut, and I always look at the last year to 18 months of customer reviews as well as the health department score.
TripAdvisor, too. We've also had good luck by simply asking the hotel staff. That's how, several years ago, we had the best steak we had in a long time in...Montrose, Colorado. It wasn't a chain.

When traveling I usually stick with Yelp, Google Maps and Tripadvisor, in that order. When it comes to selecting hotels, I generally trust Yelp more. I find the overall rating on Yelp can be lower than Tripadvisor at times, but the reviews on Yelp in general (not always) tend to be more accurate. Of course, sometimes you have to dig through the BS as some reviews are more detailed than others and you can sometimes tell by reading if someone thinks that everywhere they visit and every dish they try is "amazing!" with 5 stars, vs. others who may point out every minor flaw.

Some hotel staff, especially those with a concierge can be helpful, but they sometimes receive kickbacks from restaurants if they send hotel customers there. While I'm sure they don't want to spoil their reputation by sending patrons to a crappy place, at other times they may send customers to certain restaurants primarily because it nets them a bit of a payoff.

When traveling I usually stick with Yelp, Google Maps and Tripadvisor, in that order. When it comes to selecting hotels, I generally trust Yelp more. I find the overall rating on Yelp can be lower than Tripadvisor at times, but the reviews on Yelp in general (not always) tend to be more accurate. Of course, sometimes you have to dig through the BS as some reviews are more detailed than others and you can sometimes tell by reading if someone thinks that everywhere they visit and every dish they try is "amazing!" with 5 stars, vs. others who may point out every minor flaw.

I need to work Yelp into my hotel searches. Thanks for that! Hotels.com has been my go-to for years, but they've done a re-design and it's now impossible to get rankings based purely on guest ratings. I generally compare them and TripAdvisor, but folding in Yelp sounds smart.

Some hotel staff, especially those with a concierge can be helpful, but they sometimes receive kickbacks from restaurants if they send hotel customers there. While I'm sure they don't want to spoil their reputation by sending patrons to a crappy place, at other times they may send customers to certain restaurants primarily because it nets them a bit of a payoff.

Yeah, and there's always the possibility that the concierge is recommending based on their experience and taste, which could vary widely from your own.

With Yelp, I restrict it to a minimum of four stars. That needs to be from at least 100 reviews (I'll go 50 in a small town). Any place that can maintain four stars over 1000 reviews is doing something right, because there's always going to be someone giving it one star because "we waited too long for a table when we showed up without reservations on prom night" or "the waitress had an attitude."

And I guarantee you anyone who tries a scam to get free food and fails WILL leave a bad Yelp review. And so will anyone who feels sick after eating someplace.

I'll filter those out by seeing just how often other people have the same experiences.

If it's a tossup, I'll compare the Yelp rating with OpenTable's ratings. Much smaller database, but more serious diners, and if it adds up, I can see what times tables for whatever size party we are are available, book from my phone and get 100 points for the reservation if I keep it.

Also, chain places in smaller towns and cities are a very mixed bag. Generally less-frequent delivery of fresh foods than for the same chain in a major city, and often managers, cooks and waitstaff who have never had to hit high standards in competitive places. And it's not the second mortgage on their house that's at risk.

And finally, rule of thumb---if it's owned by Greeks, the health department is probably trying to come up with a separate scale for by how much they exceed the requirements for a perfect 100 on the health inspection.

The only Mexican restaurant in downtown Phoenix that had a perfect health score---never a reported case of food borne illness in 30 years that they were in business---was owned by Greeks. You could have performed surgery in that kitchen. And I knew about 15 other Greek restaurant owners who were every bit as obsessive.

The late columnist Mike Royko did a wonderful column back in 1986 called "The Shortage of Short Greeks is Ruining Us". Essential pull quote:

"If the cook goofed up orders, Sam's cousin would go in the kitchen, pick up a cleaver and say, "You want I keel you?"

The entire column is a brief but wonderful read, and I credit it coming along at the same time that I began to do a lot of travel to places I'd never been in TV news with ditching my tendency to look for a familiar brand name and to go local where possible:

Mike Royko: Shortage of short Greeks ruining us

I need to work Yelp into my hotel searches. Thanks for that! Hotels.com has been my go-to for years, but they've done a re-design and it's now impossible to get rankings based purely on guest ratings. I generally compare them and TripAdvisor, but folding in Yelp sounds smart.
Sorry for taking us even further off the stated title of this thread, but another tidbit that you may be aware of being a newsman and frequent traveler but many others may not, is that most all the more popular booking sites are owned by just a few parent companies - which explains why you can do a search and a bunch of booking sites all claim to have the best/lowest rates, but when you start searching, you find that many of them have a very similar user interface and exactly the same pricing:

- Booking Holdings (all these names typically contain "dot com" in their titles, but I'll leave that out here so as to not create a bunch of links) - Booking, Priceline, Kayak, Cheapflights, Rentalcars, OpenTable and a few other sites.

- Expedia Group - Expedia, Hotels, Hotwire, Trivago, Travelocity, HomeAway, Orbitz, and a few others.

- TripAdvisor Media Group - Tripadvisor, BookingBuddy, Cruise Critic, and a ton of generally lesser-known sites.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom