• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The worst customer ever

Welp. I survived another Holiday Season working in the parking lot at BJ's. This year the electric cart machine was actually working most of the holiday season, so it really made my life easier.

On Black Friday I was working with ZB a new employee hired to do carts for the Christmas season. When he actually worked ZB was really good at rounding up the shopping carts, but his attitude really sucked. He tried telling me it wasn't his job to empty the trash. (It's in the Cart Pusher job description that the Cart Pusher who is working til closing has to empty the trash in the parking lot). He refused to wear jeans. He always wore sweat pants. He told me it was too cold to wear jeans. He told me this on Black Friday when it was 40 degrees. Too cold my aunt fannie. It's in our dress code - blue jeans and red polo shirt. (In the summer the cart pushers get to wear a blue T-shirt from the Tire shirt because they're a 50/50 cotton/poly blend where as our red polos are 100% poly). I told ZB talk to me about being cold after he does two double shifts with a 20 below windchill. (I did that back in January). ZB ultimately got fired on Saturday December 21st. He missed a minimum of 6 days during his first 30 days. Technically you're not supposed to miss any days during your first 90 days, but they generally will look the other way if you bring in a doctor's note. He didn't have any doctor's note. His attitude was also "Doctors note? This isn't high school."

We had a Holiday Hiring Event on November 8th. I had just clocked in for my shift, and TD the HR Manager (who was around 8 months pregnant) was leading a woman to the office for an interview. The woman asked TD "When are you due?" I thought to myself "When are you due?" is the number one thing you never ask at a job interview. For anyone wondering TD's answer was 4 weeks. She gave birth around December 13th. Some of the idiot guys in the break room were commenting that TD would soon be making an appearance on the Maury show. Of course they were joking. All of us knew that TD knows who the father is.

I worked a long shift on Sunday the 22nd. It was busy. Sundays are typically busy, but it might also have to do with the fact that it was 3 days before Christmas. (I rarely have to work Sundays). I had no one helping me. For about 30 minutes the store manager RS actually came out to help me do carts. I have to give RS respect for doing carts as I never had a supervisor (let alone the store manager) help me do caerts anywhere I have worked. When I worked at Stop and Shop the only time I saw the store manager outside was when he went out for a cigarette. I did have a supervisor at S&S GD help me do carts twice. GD had been a cart pusher prior to being a supervisor. I got to have two new recruits help me do carts on Sunday for several hours. Then the other guy came in at 3:45PM and we had 4 guys doing carts.

Monday the 23rd I had no help scheduled at all. It was kind of slow in the tire shop on Monday, so they sent MC out to help me for around a total of an hour. He covered my breaks. At 4PM (30 mins before I went home) the closer KJ and the two new recruits came in. So again there were 4 of us. We quickly got caught up.

Tuesday the 24th wasn't as busy as I thought it would be. I worked 8:45AM-1:30PM. (I told them I wanted to be out of work as early as possible). I stayed caught up and was able to take my 15 minute break without someone coming out to cover my break I took my break at 10:15AM, which was a little earlier than I would have liked to have taken it. I wanted to take it at 11, but since I was caught up I went early. KJ clocked in at 1:08 for his 1:15 shift. We talked about a few work related things. And then we teamed up and got a lot more carts in before I left to clock out for the day.

Welp. I survived another Holiday Season working in the parking lot at BJ's. This year the electric cart machine was actually working most of the holiday season, so it really made my life easier.

On Black Friday I was working with ZB a new employee hired to do carts for the Christmas season. When he actually worked ZB was really good at rounding up the shopping carts, but his attitude really sucked. He tried telling me it wasn't his job to empty the trash. (It's in the Cart Pusher job description that the Cart Pusher who is working til closing has to empty the trash in the parking lot). He refused to wear jeans. He always wore sweat pants. He told me it was too cold to wear jeans. He told me this on Black Friday when it was 40 degrees. Too cold my aunt fannie. It's in our dress code - blue jeans and red polo shirt. (In the summer the cart pushers get to wear a blue T-shirt from the Tire shirt because they're a 50/50 cotton/poly blend where as our red polos are 100% poly). I told ZB talk to me about being cold after he does two double shifts with a 20 below windchill. (I did that back in January). ZB ultimately got fired on Saturday December 21st. He missed a minimum of 6 days during his first 30 days. Technically you're not supposed to miss any days during your first 90 days, but they generally will look the other way if you bring in a doctor's note. He didn't have any doctor's note. His attitude was also "Doctors note? This isn't high school."

We had a Holiday Hiring Event on November 8th. I had just clocked in for my shift, and TD the HR Manager (who was around 8 months pregnant) was leading a woman to the office for an interview. The woman asked TD "When are you due?" I thought to myself "When are you due?" is the number one thing you never ask at a job interview. For anyone wondering TD's answer was 4 weeks. She gave birth around December 13th. Some of the idiot guys in the break room were commenting that TD would soon be making an appearance on the Maury show. Of course they were joking. All of us knew that TD knows who the father is.

I worked a long shift on Sunday the 22nd. It was busy. Sundays are typically busy, but it might also have to do with the fact that it was 3 days before Christmas. (I rarely have to work Sundays). I had no one helping me. For about 30 minutes the store manager RS actually came out to help me do carts. I have to give RS respect for doing carts as I never had a supervisor (let alone the store manager) help me do caerts anywhere I have worked. When I worked at Stop and Shop the only time I saw the store manager outside was when he went out for a cigarette. I did have a supervisor at S&S GD help me do carts twice. GD had been a cart pusher prior to being a supervisor. I got to have two new recruits help me do carts on Sunday for several hours. Then the other guy came in at 3:45PM and we had 4 guys doing carts.

Monday the 23rd I had no help scheduled at all. It was kind of slow in the tire shop on Monday, so they sent MC out to help me for around a total of an hour. He covered my breaks. At 4PM (30 mins before I went home) the closer KJ and the two new recruits came in. So again there were 4 of us. We quickly got caught up.

Tuesday the 24th wasn't as busy as I thought it would be. I worked 8:45AM-1:30PM. (I told them I wanted to be out of work as early as possible). I stayed caught up and was able to take my 15 minute break without someone coming out to cover my break I took my break at 10:15AM, which was a little earlier than I would have liked to have taken it. I wanted to take it at 11, but since I was caught up I went early. KJ clocked in at 1:08 for his 1:15 shift. We talked about a few work related things. And then we teamed up and got a lot more carts in before I left to clock out for the day.

If there is some reason you havent been promoted to at least assistant manager of your department yet. It seems like BJ s does not value the employees who know what the hell they are doing and show up on time.

Glad work seems to be going pretty well, Marc. BJs seems like it's proving to be a decent place for you to be right now. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

Glad work seems to be going pretty well, Marc. BJs seems like it's proving to be a decent place for you to be right now. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

Right but BJs shouldnt be letting these new employees come in and act how ever they want.

Right but BJs shouldnt be letting these new employees come in and act how ever they want.

Truthfully I think we're getting "bottom of the barrel" applicants because our starting pay rate sucks compared to other places in town. Our starting pay rate is $11/hour which is the current Minimum Wage in Connecticut. We have both Walmart and Target in Southington and they start at $12 and $13 respectively. I believe one (if not both) temporarily raised it to recruit holiday help.

I was the latest BJ's employee to get fired. On Tuesday DL who works at the Member Service Desk asked me to help a member in a wheelchair do his shopping. I told her I was behind with my work and to ask someone else. DL gets on the two-way radio and says that i refused to help the member. I talked to one of the Assistant Managers on Tuesday about what happened and he said it was okay. Today I clocked in for my shift and the other Assistant Manager SM calls me in the office and fires me.

Well, that really stinks. Your at will so I doubt you can appeal it. They may try to fight your unemployment benefits by alleging insubordination. I hope they don't, but be prepared to fight it.

Perhaps the takeaway is that you just do what they tell you. If your other work suffered so be it.

Yeah I think if it was me I'd help the member in the wheelchair and deal with the consequences of not getting other things done.

If that member decided to raise a stink on social media it would really cause the company to have a conniption fit. Nobody wants the image out there that their store is less than kind and accommodating to the handicapped.

I can sympathize though that whichever choice you made you were likely to get into trouble for it.

Last edited:
I was the latest BJ's employee to get fired. On Tuesday DL who works at the Member Service Desk asked me to help a member in a wheelchair do his shopping. I told her I was behind with my work and to ask someone else. DL gets on the two-way radio and says that i refused to help the member. I talked to one of the Assistant Managers on Tuesday about what happened and he said it was okay. Today I clocked in for my shift and the other Assistant Manager SM calls me in the office and fires me.

What you haven't mentioned is you were also written up in mid October for leaving the cart push unattended and were giving a warning about that. you're being fired wasn't just because you refused to help a customer.

BJ's found out very quickly how much of a valuable employee I was. BJ's has the cheapest prices on books, so when one of my favorite authors - Lisa Gardner came out with a new book this I went down to my former store and bought it. Then I stopped in their liquor store to talk to my friend FR. FR told me that my replacement started last week and he already called out 3 times!

BJ's found out very quickly how much of a valuable employee I was. BJ's has the cheapest prices on books, so when one of my favorite authors - Lisa Gardner came out with a new book this I went down to my former store and bought it. Then I stopped in their liquor store to talk to my friend FR. FR told me that my replacement started last week and he already called out 3 times!
Called out? Do you mean was called out?

I think he meant called off of work.

Marc, why not just check the book out from the library?

Did you file for unemployment insurance?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom