• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Your clearest very far analog/digital TV DX

Re: Cedar Rapids, Iowa and NFL Telecasts.....
.... The Bears are a home team to them. Same was true farther in Iowa in the late 1990s, where Waterloo, I think, wanted to show the Bears and sometimes were told by Fox, "You're getting the Vikings." The station would put up a crawl during the game saying it was Fox's decision. Bet the phones rang off the hook there too.
The Cedar Rapids - Waterloo TV market is Bears country....With Packers fans the minority in the northeast section of the viewing area around Dubuque. When CBS had the NFC games, WMT-TV (later KGAN) was Bears network primary and Packers network secondary. The next market to the west, Mason City-Rochester, was where the Iowa Vikings fans were. KGLO-TV, Channel 3, in Mason City was (is) CBS, and also was Vikings primary when the NFC was on that network.

I have tried over and over again to get ESPN and its associated channels removed from my service. I know I am paying around $150 a year for channels I have never watched and never will. But there is no way.

If we want to look at monopolies, give professional sports a look. The NAB had to drop the "Code" of good practices as it was judged to be collusion. Yet the teams in every sport and league work together to determine rights, fees and the like.
I think I have seen at least a glimpse of the future.

I recently purchased a smart TV, and discovered after I installed it that it can tune 300+ FREE channels that stream, along with Netflix, Apple, Amazon, hulu and other on-demand subscription and/or pay per view services. On demand and live content is also available from the major broadcast networks....including in the case of CBS o&o stations....streaming local news, weather, and sports. And then there's also You Tube plus a web browser. I can see why people are cutting the cord. (My daughter and her husband who live in Santa Monica "cut the cord" three years ago, and don't miss it one iota.)

Maybe we should consider ourselves fortunate bundling is not common in most businesses. Imagine going to a local supermarket to buy some cheese, and being told it was only available in the hamburger / lettuce package. As silly as that sounds, it is not inaccurate.
Yeah sure, to buy milk or at least to get it at a reasonable price you must buy 4 boxes of cereal!

I recently purchased a smart TV, and discovered after I installed it that it can tune 300+ FREE channels that stream, along with Netflix, Apple, Amazon, hulu and other on-demand subscription and/or pay per view services. On demand and live content is also available from the major broadcast networks....including in the case of CBS o&o stations....streaming local news, weather, and sports. And then there's also You Tube plus a web browser. I can see why people are cutting the cord. (My daughter and her husband who live in Santa Monica "cut the cord" three years ago, and don't miss it one iota.)
That's all great and I have all of that! (I have Roku and a Firestick on all televisions) But in order to get CNN, and or MSNBC plus the dedicated LA Dodgers baseball channel, I MUST buy a regular cable package. Live TV from those two news apps and the Dodgers BB channel is unavailable without one. Why oh why can't I simply pay for them a la carte?

That's all great and I have all of that! (I have Roku and a Firestick on all televisions) But in order to get CNN, and or MSNBC plus the dedicated LA Dodgers baseball channel, I MUST buy a regular cable package. Live TV from those two news apps and the Dodgers BB channel is unavailable without one. Why oh why can't I simply pay for them a la carte?
A lot of the channels wouldn't survive alacarte. I can get "I only need 10 channels", the problem is everyone would want a different 10 channels.

A lot of the channels wouldn't survive alacarte. I can get "I only need 10 channels", the problem is everyone would want a different 10 channels.
Clark Howard and his team at Clark.com have put together a neat tool to find the lowest price package for the channels you want. You just type in the channels you're interested in and it'll list the streaming services that offer those channels from least expensive to the most. One drawback though is regional sports networks and select local channels are not included in the results.

I can get about 1,000 channels through all those streaming services. That can be kind of overwhelming. After about 10 minutes of fishing, my wife says go back to the antenna.

As for DX, my furthest really clear analog is KOTA, Rapid City, South Dakota on Ch 3. It overloaded my TV in Springfield, OH.

What happened to the Seal of Good Practice in detail?
When I was just a little kid fascinated by TV, I remember here in SoCal when KNBC Channel 4 (then KRCA ) signed on at 5 in the morning, so proudly boasted about about being a a subscriber to the "Seal of Good Practice" with membership in the NAB, right along with being proud of being the only station broadcasting in color! (boy did I wonder what that might look like!). It would be many years later that I would finally find out. (In today's money we didnt have and extra 5 to 10 grand laying around to find out!)

Back in the day when I DX'd from Tampa, the most common E-skip was from Texas/Oklahoma. I remember receiving VHF from Midland, Wichita Falls, and Corpus Christi. Lots more from same area on FM. Tropo TV received from Columbus and Savannah, GA, Dothan, AL, and Pensacola/Mobile area.

This is topical as I just had a discussion about this tonight with my dad. He's one of those who quickly buys a lot of those 'too good to be true' items from TV and the internet, and one closet in his basement is littered with this crap that he's bought over the years, then just tossed it aside when it didn't work as advertised. He came home this weekend with one of these Smart TVs with the 300 free channels as the salesperson told him that, between the TV's built-in free offerings and an OTA antenna he could get any programming imaginable. I reminded him that they watch regional sports channels almost nightly, as well as GSN and other programming that was not available on either. Also, he remembers the 1970s and 80s when he had an antenna on the roof and proudly boasted how many UHF and VHF channels he could pull in from miles around. When I tried to explain the difference between analog (then) and digital (now) and that his chances of pulling in much, even with a roof-mounted antenna weren't great where they currently live, he pushed back mightily. He's technologically challenged, thinks he knows much more than he actually does, falls for overblown sales pitches all the time and I fear that 1) He's going to put more money into this experiment with the Smart TV, antennas, installation, infrastructure, etc. than if he'd just stay with his Cable/internet/Home Phone bundle and 2) Because of pride, he'll come out of all this with a system that will have some stuff they'll maybe watch, but the programming they watch almost nightly (including their MLB and NHL teams' games) will be gone.

Last edited:
This is topical as I just had a discussion tonight with my dad. He's one of those who quickly buys a lot of those 'too good to be true' items from TV and the internet, and one closet in his basement is littered with this crap that he's bought over the years, then just tossed it aside when it didn't work as promised.....
........He's technologically challenged, thinks he knows much more than he actually does and I fear that 1) He's going to put more money into this experiment with the Smart TV, antennas, installation, infrastructure, etc. than if he'd just stay with his Cable/internet/Home Phone bundle and 2) Because of pride, he'll come out of all this with a system that will have some stuff they'll maybe watch, but the programmoing they watch almost nightly (including their MLB and NHL teams' games) will be gone.
I definitely know people like that. I can only speak to my smart TV. The smart channels are fed by the internet . You connect via WiFi and it's not terribly complicated. No cable or antenna involved. I use only one input for cable, and another for internet/smart channels. What I get for free on my LG brand TV smart channels are mostly what I would describe as "secondary" as opposed to "front line". The vast majority of them are of little or no interest to me, so I don't watch the smart channels very much. BUT, as you might expect, if you keep searching, you might find a :cherry: here and there.

But in the midst of all the free smart channels, you DO get access to some popular pay channels choices. Netflix, Apple,, Hulu, Amazon and more. We have a couple of those subscriptions and are generally pleased with them.

I definitely know people like that. I can only speak to my smart TV. The smart channels are fed by the internet . You connect via WiFi and it's not terribly complicated. No cable or antenna involved. I use only one input for cable, and another for internet/smart channels. What I get for free on my LG brand TV smart channels are mostly what I would describe as "secondary" as opposed to "front line". The vast majority of them are of little or no interest to me, so I don't watch the smart channels very much. BUT, as you might expect, if you keep searching, you might find a :cherry: here and there.

But in the midst of all the free smart channels, you DO get access to some popular pay channels choices. Netflix, Apple,, Hulu, Amazon and more. We have a couple of those subscriptions and are generally pleased with them.
Thanks for the further details, cyberdad. My concern is that he's been led to believe he can connect his new Smart TV to WiFi, cancel his cable subscription, put up an inexpensive OTA antenna in the relatively rural area where they now live, and he'll be completely satisfied with the results. They're creatures of habit, are older and technologically challenged. They like and watch mostly a few what you'd call "front line" channels almost daily, along with their regional sports networks. They're not technically minded enough to browse the internet to pull in regional sports and other stuff, for instance. They're not hurting financially, it's just a case where he's been sold on this and is now giddy as he thinks he's found a way to get all the TV content they want, get it for free without paying and save a bundle by cutting cable. If only it were that simple!

Last edited:
Thanks for the further details, cyberdad. My concern is that he's been led to believe he can connect his new Smart TV to WiFi, cancel his cable subscription, put up an inexpensive OTA antenna in the relatively rural area where they now live, and he'll be completely satisfied with the results.
I think anyone considering "cutting the cord" from cable or dish to a smart TV really needs to give it some very serious thought. The cable and satellite companies have a lock on the most popular cable channels, and have, up to now, managed to avoid offering anything resembling a "cafeteria" approach. Unfair? I'll let others have that debate, but that's the landscape at the moment.

Dateline: Atlanta GA, the summer of 1987. A thunderstorm rolled through, and after it passed, I saw a channel 4 come in that was airing a CBS soap opera. First I thought it was a bleed over from our WAGA then maybe WTVY in Dothan AL, the closest CBS on channel 4 to us. Then they identified themselves at the bottom of the hour. It was WCCO in Minneapolis.

Later in a strange quirk, I woke up in the wee hours readying for work and did some channel surfing. I had cable at the time and WGTV/channel 8 had signed off earlier, but instead of snow, I was getting WAKA in Montgomery. A couple of years later, WFLA in Tampa was coming in on the channel 8 spot.

Last edited:
Channel 2 was usually my "go to" for analog DXing. When I lived in western NC, KCKT (now KSNC) from Hayes, KS would show up from time to time. Received WLBZ in Bangor, ME a few times. Also channel 3 in Cuba would sometimes overtake WBTV, which was my CBS station in that area. When I moved to central FL, my wife would be upset that the evening local news on WESH 2 would be wiped out by KPRC across the gulf from Houston TX. However, could never get Cuba or Bahamas at my location in FL. Last, some of my best DX from the past 12 years in N. Alabama has been Cuba, Canada, Mexico and a number of the "nightlight" stations prior to the analog switchover.

I think anyone considering "cutting the cord" from cable or dish to a smart TV really needs to give it some very serious thought. The cable and satellite companies have a lock on the most popular cable channels, and have, up to now, managed to avoid offering anything resembling a "cafeteria" approach. Unfair? I'll let others have that debate, but that's the landscape at the moment.
That is absolutely true. We "cut the cord" earlier this year and are saving alot of money. We get hundreds of free OTA and Roku channels. I pay for a Hulu, ESPN+, Disney+ bundle. My GF pays for a Netflix and free HBO Max. My advice would be to also know friends and families with passwords to other services and also have access to and know how to use a VPN. Simply putting up an antenna and watching what's free probably will probably disappoint most folks. As for me, I only pay for any TV because of the family, even though I do watch because it's there. I could live without any TV but I couldn't live without music. I spend more time listening to SXM and Youtube than anything else.

My clearest would have to have been a couple nights of KVAL Eugene (NTSC) around 2002 or maybe 2003. I received it on the Thomson RCA VCR that had the amazingly sensitive tuner and the rooftop log-yagi my earliest broadcasting exploits were conducted over. Pointed SW towards downtown Potland. KVAL was actually hammering southeast Vancouver like a semi-local despite KPTV being the next channel over. I wish I had thought to record it but my teenage brain never considered it since I wasn't much into DXing then...... maybe once or twice a year I'd do an FM or TV band scan just to see what else is out there in the world but that's about it.

Around fall of 2010 (I think) I was getting CBUT from the "other" Vancouver. This was about a year after KATU discontinued their NTSC service. Not really watchable, there was no audio but you could see the there was programming and the CBC logotype amongst the static. Very weak but detectable. This was on a rabbit ears connected to a Panasonic PV-9662 VCR in a third-floor flat here: Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!. This was back when you could afford $450/month rent on the $10.50/hour you were making at Red Robin and still have a little left over for groceries and utilities, before all the California defectors started gentrifying Vancouver en masse and driving our rent prices out of control like is happening now. Ahem.

And of course there was KCKA in Centralia on 15. Barely a visible picture (there must have been enough, though, since it would open up the colour killer and I'd be treated to rainbow snow) but the aural channel usually hammered 479.75 on my PRO-74 at my mom's house elsewhere in east Vancouver.

As a lot of you probably know, no thanks to 8VSB, reduced ERP levels (relying on forward error correction) and an increasingly high noise floor, even trying to receive local ATSC can sometimes qualify as DXing these days.

This is topical as I just had a discussion about this tonight with my dad. He's one of those who quickly buys a lot of those 'too good to be true' items from TV and the internet, and one closet in his basement is littered with this crap that he's bought over the years, then just tossed it aside when it didn't work as advertised.

He's technologically challenged, thinks he knows much more than he actually does, falls for overblown sales pitches all the time

Oh, you have one in your family too, huh?

I dread the day that's coming in a few years, when we'll be clearing out my grandmother's estate. God. If I had any say in the matter we'd be having Humane Society bring a truck and pick over what they want then get 1-800 Junk to haul off the rest, if I didn't just call the city disposal and rent a skip. Or, you know, just torch the rickety old shack and be done with it.

Last edited:
Longest distance analog TV DX:

Summer of 1972, about 9:45 PM CDT. West Central Texas, way out in the boonies, far away from any city noise. Grandpa had a HUGE VHF-only antenna on a rotor. I caught something on channel 2 from about 350º where there should have been nothing. B&W TV set, fair picture with no sound at all. At the top of the hour (10 PM), there was a news program with the "CBC" logo at the bottom right of the screen. Then it faded out and was gone. Did not get a station ID and could not repeat the catch on successive nights. I assumed it was from somewhere in west central Canada and let it go at that.

Many years later after the coming of the internet, I did some searching and determined my old "catch" was CKSA from Lloydminster, AB/SK, roughly 1600 miles. Not bad.

Best quality positive ID: several times in the mid-'80s. From central DFW area I received KNAZ NBC 2, Flagstaff, AZ during a passing summer thunderstorm. My antenna pointed directly south to the cluster of antenna farms at Cedar Hill, TX but the signal was coming in from my NW and reflecting off a storm passing to the south of me about 20 miles away moving from west to east. Absolutely perfect, local-quality color picture with sound. Each time it lasted about 15-20 minutes and then abruptly faded and was gone as the storm passed by. Approximately 860 miles distance.

On a late June morning in 1974, I was in my bedroom watching my portable TV outfitted with the standard rabbit ears when I was surprised by seeing NBC's Today Show on channel 2. This was odd, because it was after 9 am and that show was over in the Eastern Time Zone (I lived in Richmond, VA). So, I was glued to this station as the signal faded in and out (and was quite strong at times). Imagine my amazement to see/hear the ID of channel 2 (I think it was KNEP then, it is that now) Scottsbluff, NE! I was 10, so it blew my mind. That signal was watchable for a good 2 hours before fading for good. I remember also getting a channel 2 from Louisiana on a different day, but it was more of a trace that I could barely ID as being from Baton Rouge.

Ah, I miss those days of analogue. DTV has taken a lot of the fun out of OTA TV.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom