• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ACTORS WHO COULDN'T STAND EACH OTHER BUT YOU NEVER WOULDVE KNOWN IT.

N

nightfly61

The Robert Reed walking off the set of the Brady Bunch inspired me to start this thread...
The only other one I can think of off hand is the show "Martin" where whoever plays "Gina" had an agreement with execs he wasn't allowed to touch her. Seems to me he got out of hand one too many times.
There's gotta be some other juicy ones from the classic days! ;)

I always heard it was Ethyl who couldn't stand Fred. Not the other way around (although William Frawley was reported to have been a rather cantankerous old coot in his own right).

On "I Love Lucy", Vivian Vance hated William Frawley so much that when she did "The Lucy Show" later on, she insisted on a clause in her contract that Frawley would never be hired to appear on the show.

Didn't hear all the details, but on a recent Howard Stern show, David Faustino said that the best kept secret on the "Married, With Children" set was that Christina Applegate hated Ed O'Neill's guts.

Alan Alda (Hawkeye) and Larry Linville (Frank Burns) never did get along on the MASH set. Alda reportedly pushed for Linville's firing, which was never officially announced as a firing.

The set of "Eight is Enough" was supposedly rife with dissension, most of it centered around Susan Richardson and Adam Rich.

Recently, sparks flew on the set of "Ugly Betty" during Lindsay Lohan's guest appearances. The problems apparently centered around both her entourage and her demands that America Ferrara already be on the set before she walked on. Her time on the show was reduced from six episodes to four.

Walter Brennan was the only conservative among a bunch of Hollywood Liberals.

According to the Internet Movie Database, In 1964, Brennan endorsed and made appearances on behalf of U.S. Senator Barry M. Goldwater, the Republican nominee that year. He supported American Independent Party candidate (and former governor of Alabama) George C. Wallace, Jr., over Republican Party nominee and former Vice President Richard M. Nixon in the 1968 presidential campaign because he felt Nixon was too liberal. He also supported Ronald W. Reagan for governor of California.

Prais said:

...that would surely have come as a surprise to Charlton Heston. ;-) Aaron Spelling, who produced The Guns of Will Sonnett, wrote in his autobiography that he, a staunch liberal, got along very well with Brennan. I think Brennan's real problem with folks whenever it came up was that he was an avowed racist, who actually got around to using the "N"-word in media interviews and such, which is why you never saw him in a picture or series with an African-American even as a bit player...

...Roger Ebert says that, for the first three or so years of production of Sneak Previews, he and Gene Siskel wouldn't even say "Hello" to each other off-set. For Roger's part, he claimed it was because he firmly believed himself to be the one-stop film critic, the only one who'd won the Pulitzer Prize and so forth, and that the only reason WTTW/11 even needed anyone alongside him on the set was that the Chicago Tribune would barely acknowledge the series at all had only the Sun-Times' critic been there...

Robert Cummings and Julie Newmar absolutely and personally hated each other while co-starring in the 1964-1965 TV series "My Living Doll" . Cummings literally walked out the series after some 18 episodes into the show's first and only season. His character was written out. From what I've been told, it was a rather good series.

Ultimajock said:
Prais said:

...that would surely have come as a surprise to Charlton Heston. ;-)

Well, not at the time. Heston, back then, was a Democrat. By comparison, Brennan was far to the right of him.

You have to realize that a moderate in 1964 would be a staunch conservative by today's standards and, looking back historically at JFK's policies and opinions, he'd almost certainly be a Republican today. Sinatra was a bigtime Democrat in 1960 and earlier, but supported the likes of Nixon and Reagan later on. Again, the definition of a 'liberal' and a 'conservative' gradually changes over time. And it changed a lot between 1964 and 1972.

On The Golden Girls, Dorothy (Beatrice Arthur) showed impatience with the ditzy Rose (Betty White), but it was clear that the two characters loved each other. But in real life, Bea Arthur intensely disliked Betty White - reportedly because Betty had a casual and easy going attitude about the show, and about acting in general; while Bea took her work very seriously.

From what I've heard, the dislike was not particularly mutual - Betty had nothing against Bea Arthur.

BRNout said:
Ultimajock said:
Prais said:

Well, not at the time. Heston, back then, was a Democrat. By comparison, Brennan was far to the right of him.

You have to realize that a moderate in 1964 would be a staunch conservative by today's standards and, looking back historically at JFK's policies and opinions, he'd almost certainly be a Republican today. Sinatra was a bigtime Democrat in 1960 and earlier, but supported the likes of Nixon and Reagan later on. Again, the definition of a 'liberal' and a 'conservative' gradually changes over time. And it changed a lot between 1964 and 1972.

I have to quibble with that just a little. It's not so much that the political parties have moved to the right or left, but that people change their views. Ronald Reagan himself was a liberal Democrat in the early 50s. Heston may have been a liberal at one time - but he moved to the right. Many Democrats supported gun control as far back as the late 50s, but I don't think that was one of Heston's personal issues at the time.

Remember in those days, there were right-wing segregationsist Democrats (like George Wallace, mostly in the South), and liberal Republicans like George Romney and Nelson Rockefeller. The party lines in those days were not as clear.

BRNout said:
Ultimajock said:
Prais said:

Well, not at the time. Heston, back then, was a Democrat.

...not at the time of the 1964 Presidential election, he wasn't. He campaigned for Goldwater that year...

on Everybody Loves Raymond, Patricia Heaton was a well-known conservative,
while Doris Roberts and Peter Boyle were big-time libs. This seemed to make
the tension between them rather genuine, greatly enhancing the on-screen comedic effects.

Part of any dislike for Frawley on "ILL" was his drinking problem...Desi Arnaz, no teetotaler himself, put Frawley on what we'd now call a "zero tolerance" alcohol policy on the show.

Also, weren't most of the castemmbers on "The Andy Griffith Show" not too fond of Frances Bavier?

Enough that, IIRC, Ron Howard was the only
cast member who ever came to visit Ms. Bavier
in North Carolina, and I think she refused to see him.
(I know the woman who gave him directions to Ms.
Bavier's house.) When she died, neither Andy nor
Don Knotts attended her funeral (I keep thinking
Jim Nabors sent condolences).

And can you blame them? Typical of Frances Bavier
was a remark she once made within earshot of show
writer Everett Greenbaum that the show would be better
if they had some decent scripts.

Back in 1989 Carol Burnett's daughter Jody Hamilton told a Denver TV station ( I am pretty sure it was KTVD 20 ) that at the time her mother and Vicki Lawrence "are no longer friends". At the time Vicki was doing the syndicated Mama's Family. I am pretty sure both have since made up.

For years there was this rumor that Alan Young & Connie Hines ( Mr. Ed ) hated each other however over the years both Young & Hines had denied that.

Joan Davis & Jim Backus hated each other when they did I Married Joan.

Leave it to Beaver...the actor who played Gilbert on the show, Stephen Talbot, a few years back I remember reading somewhere that said he and Jerry Mathers didn't care that much for each other during the Beaver days and years afterward though Talbot did get along with Tony Dow and I believe those two are still friends to this day.

I remember from my childhood being told that NBC's 1960s anchormen Chet Huntley and David Brinkley had opposing political views...but they always seemed to get along even when they both worked together in NYC in the late 60s after the Chet in NY/David in Washington concept and at the political conventions and election returns.

Remember the 1978 movie flop "Sgt. Peppe's Lonely Hearts Club Band" with The Bee Gees paired with Peter Frampton in the title roles?. They never got along on the set according to movie mags and People magazine.

What about Cybil Shepherd and Bruce Willis on Moonlighting? It got so bad that they had to write them in separate cities for almost a whole season!

bpatrick said:
Enough that, IIRC, Ron Howard was the only
cast member who ever came to visit Ms. Bavier
in North Carolina, and I think she refused to see him.
(I know the woman who gave him directions to Ms.
Bavier's house.) When she died, neither Andy nor
Don Knotts attended her funeral (I keep thinking
Jim Nabors sent condolences).

And can you blame them? Typical of Frances Bavier
was a remark she once made within earshot of show
writer Everett Greenbaum that the show would be better
if they had some decent scripts.

George "Goober" Lindsay wasn't exactly a fan of Bavier either. Maybe back during TAGS he was but not in recent years. Back in 2004 I attended a function in Virginia where Lindsay was the guest of honor. During the Q&A between the audience and Goober, someone asked him about Bavier and George refused to say anything about the woman but he had no trouble talking about everyone else on The Andy Griffith Show even asking the audience to pray for Don Knotts, then in very bad health.

In an interview once George Lindsay said that once he was talking to an actor when they were tapeing between scenes and he cursed Frances Aunt Bea hit him with an umberalla he told her Frances I wasn't talking to you but she told him you shouldn't use that kind of language in front of a lady. Andy Griffith also went to president of CBS to get Frances fired but he refused saying Aunt Bea was popular in the role and that Opie needed a mother figure. I also heard once that Vickie Lawrence read for role of Dorthy on Golden Girls and she got the part but Rue who played Blanche didn't like Vickie Lawrence and she was hired all ready and she threatened to walk out if Lawrence was hired so Bea Arthur became Dorthy. Howard Rollins on heat of the night didn't like working with Carroll o connor either. and feeling was mutural. rumor was o connor was racist.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom