• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ACTORS WHO COULDN'T STAND EACH OTHER BUT YOU NEVER WOULDVE KNOWN IT.

bpatrick said:
Enough that, IIRC, Ron Howard was the only
cast member who ever came to visit Ms. Bavier
in North Carolina, and I think she refused to see him.
(I know the woman who gave him directions to Ms.
Bavier's house.) When she died, neither Andy nor
Don Knotts attended her funeral (I keep thinking
Jim Nabors sent condolences).

And can you blame them? Typical of Frances Bavier
was a remark she once made within earshot of show
writer Everett Greenbaum that the show would be better
if they had some decent scripts.
I read that Griffith and Howard(and possibly Knotts and others) went to Bavier's house when they were in NC filming the 'Return to Mayberry' movie in '85, when she refused. She died a year later.

Andy Coleman said:
Howard Rollins on heat of the night didn't like working with Carroll o connor either. and feeling was mutural. rumor was o connor was racist.

http://www.aaregistry.com/detail.php?id=2146 this site doesn't agree with that idea, at least not from O'Connor's perspective. Rollins didn't like working in the Deep South and felt all alone, so he got into drugs. He probably wouldn't like working with anybody around that time.

mleach said:
Back in 1989 Carol Burnett's daughter Jody Hamilton told a Denver TV station ( I am pretty sure it was KTVD 20 ) that at the time her mother and Vicki Lawrence "are no longer friends". At the time Vicki was doing the syndicated Mama's Family. I am pretty sure both have since made up.

Their friendship was strained after Carol and husband (and 'Mama's Family' producer) Joe Hamilton split up, since Hamilton got sole control over the show and its production company. After Hamilton died (and 'Mama' was out of production), Vicki and Carol made up. Carol appeared on Vicki's talk show, and both were chummy as usual when the 'Burnett Show' cast did the CBS reunion specials.

Andy Coleman said:
In an interview once George Lindsay said that once he was talking to an actor when they were tapeing between scenes and he cursed Frances Aunt Bea hit him with an umberalla he told her Frances I wasn't talking to you but she told him you shouldn't use that kind of language in front of a lady. Andy Griffith also went to president of CBS to get Frances fired but he refused saying Aunt Bea was popular in the role and that Opie needed a mother figure. I also heard once that Vickie Lawrence read for role of Dorthy on Golden Girls and she got the part but Rue who played Blanche didn't like Vickie Lawrence and she was hired all ready and she threatened to walk out if Lawrence was hired so Bea Arthur became Dorthy. Howard Rollins on heat of the night didn't like working with Carroll o connor either. and feeling was mutural. rumor was o connor was racist.
O'Connor was anything but a racist. ??? Don't confuse the actor with the characters.

RicoGregg said:
Didn't hear all the details, but on a recent Howard Stern show, David Faustino said that the best kept secret on the "Married, With Children" set was that Christina Applegate hated Ed O'Neill's guts.

I remember watching a Bloopers and Practical Jokes episode some years back where a clip was shown of Christina Applegate taping an episode of her show (probably Jesse which was her first show following MWC) and her character went to answer the door and, unannounced, Ed O'Neill stood there as a surprise. The audience went wild and she immediately screamed (presumably in delight) and threw her arms around him and hugged him and cried (happy tears, one would think).

What about John Ritter and Joyce DeWitt towards Suzanne Somers after Suzanne staged her contract walkout. Ritter and DeWitt didn't talk to Somers for years although I believe Ritter and Somers made up towards the end before Ritter died. I don't think DeWitt and Somers have completely made up but I've heard they've started communicating again.

And since Huntley and Brinkley were mentioned earlier, what about Diane Sawyer and Sam Donaldson? They were split up into different cities not long after Primetime Live started because they didn't get along with each other. One of them was in NY, the other in Washington. I heard it was because Sam demanded an extra dressing room just for his toupee. ;D

WMC2006 said:
RicoGregg said:
Didn't hear all the details, but on a recent Howard Stern show, David Faustino said that the best kept secret on the "Married, With Children" set was that Christina Applegate hated Ed O'Neill's guts.

I remember watching a Bloopers and Practical Jokes episode some years back where a clip was shown of Christina Applegate taping an episode of her show (probably Jesse which was her first show following MWC) and her character went to answer the door and, unannounced, Ed O'Neill stood there as a surprise. The audience went wild and she immediately screamed (presumably in delight) and threw her arms around him and hugged him and cried (happy tears, one would think).

...it's hardly a secret that the odd guy out in the MWC cast was Faustino, not O'Neill or Applegate. Note that, of all the Bundy actors, only Faustino hasn't managed to land a series of his own that ran for more than a single season...

What is this thread ? TMZ in a can. Half of the posts are pure crap. (1) True. Bill Frawley wasn't liked -- because he drank and held up production of the "I love Lucy" show. But Vivian Vance had no such need of an "anti-Frawley" clause. Bill Frawley died a year before "The Lucy show" went into production. (2) Applegate once dated Ed O'neill -- her daddy in "Married with Children". (3) Larry Linville left "MasH" because he hated playing the same "FF" over and over again. He wanted more cash and better scripts and was written out -- when Execs refused. (4) Most of the problems on "Eight is enough" was caused by Grady and another actor -- using drugs. (5) Betty White and Bea Arthur are best of friends. Betty White was the FIRST to win a TV Emmy. She's just a great actress. (6) Patricia Heaton had no problems from Peter Boyle. Regardless of how Boyle voted -- he was anything but librial. He was a former MONK. (7) Carroll O'Connor, owned "In The Heat of The Night". He fired and re-hired Howard Rollins -- twice and gave him the boot -- only after he failed to stay off of the coke and could not show up for production. It had nothing to do with race. Otherwise --- you all should submit your rumors and lies to TMZ. If you are going to submit lies and rumors -- try to get them correct.

What a great education, coming from thiis thread. It's good to know that I'll never have to read the Enquirer.

There are so many dedicated folks here who know all the gruesome details, and believe them, as well.

All you need is a press agent, and you can get people to believe anything.

sam said:
Bill Frawley wasn't liked -- because he drank and held up production of the "I love Lucy" show. But Vivian Vance had no such need of an "anti-Frawley" clause. Bill Frawley died a year before "The Lucy show" went into production.

The Lucy Show began production in 1962. The "Hollywood" Lucy Shows without Vance began in 1965.
Frawley died in March of 1966. Here's Lucy began filimg in 1968. Actually Frawley DID appear in one episode of The Lucy Show. That was in 1965 ( just before the format changed ), however Vivian Vance took that week off and was replaced by Ann Sothern.

According to one of those many of Lucy books that have been published over the years, I think it was the one by Jess & Greg Oppenheimer ( Jess was the producer ), Vivian Vance and William Frawley actually got along..at first that is. Then one day Frawley overheard Vance's bitching about Frawley being "too old" and all of that and that began this feud which lasted all the way until Frawley's death in 1966. Frawley during the early to mid 60's did My Three Sons which was BTW filmed more/less next door to The Lucy Show so yah..those two did see each other quite often ( though they never spoke ) after those two stopped playing the Mertzes.

I doubt there was an "anti-Frawley" clause either but I have never heard about Frawley's drinking ( Or Desi's for that matter ) holding up production during I Love Lucy. Actually many of those involve with the show who have been interviewed in those Lucy books say the opposite. While they all admit those two had a drinking problem, both men went to work and did their job..totally sober. But then again as I mentioned before in another thread, all of those Lucille Ball books that have been published over the years, they all had the "blessing" of Lucie Arnaz ( Lucie is very protected over her parents & Vance's image and has been known to sue if she doesn't get her way ) so perhaps the drinking-holding up production bit DID happen..but it's something Lucie Arnaz doesn't want people to know about it.

sam said:
What is this thread ? TMZ in a can. Half of the posts are pure crap.
Easy there killer, it's just interesting to picture them being husband/wife, best friend on the set & not speaking/throwing down the next minute. I wonder if any books/videos were ever put out totally deticated to this topic. I think a blooper video would be great to see of clips of, for example Eight is Enough cast members & their agents on the set yelling at Willy Aames because he's all wired for sound, etc.

Here's an obveous one I forgot...Tina Louise toward the rest of the cast of Gilligan's Island. She always thought she was too good for the show, but I don't know any real stories of anything she did other than show up late or not at all. I heard her & Bob Denver didn't like each other because (similar to Ginger Grant) she wanted the spotlight.

sam said:
What is this thread ? TMZ in a can. Half of the posts are pure crap. (1) True. Bill Frawley wasn't liked -- because he drank and held up production of the "I love Lucy" show. But Vivian Vance had no such need of an "anti-Frawley" clause. Bill Frawley died a year before "The Lucy show" went into production. (2) Applegate once dated Ed O'neill -- her daddy in "Married with Children". (3) Larry Linville left "MasH" because he hated playing the same "FF" over and over again. He wanted more cash and better scripts and was written out -- when Execs refused. (4) Most of the problems on "Eight is enough" was caused by Grady and another actor -- using drugs. (5) Betty White and Bea Arthur are best of friends. Betty White was the FIRST to win a TV Emmy. She's just a great actress. (6) Patricia Heaton had no problems from Peter Boyle. Regardless of how Boyle voted -- he was anything but librial. He was a former MONK. (7) Carroll O'Connor, owned "In The Heat of The Night". He fired and re-hired Howard Rollins -- twice and gave him the boot -- only after he failed to stay off of the coke and could not show up for production. It had nothing to do with race. Otherwise --- you all should submit your rumors and lies to TMZ. If you are going to submit lies and rumors -- try to get them correct.

Uh...Sam...you don't think this is a blog for intellectuals, do you? This is a place where people who are into TV trivia exchange showiz tidbits and TV minutiae. And let's face it - the topic of this thread is pretty "TMZ"ish, so to speak.

Most of these rumors have been widely disseminated...and other than the patently untrue item about Carol O'Connor, not particularly scurilous.

nightfly61 said:
Here's an obveous one I forgot...Tina Louise toward the rest of the cast of Gilligan's Island. She always thought she was too good for the show, but I don't know any real stories of anything she did other than show up late or not at all. I heard her & Bob Denver didn't like each other because (similar to Ginger Grant) she wanted the spotlight.

From what I understood (these could false,) Ginger was a real b!tch on the set. She only wanted certain camera angles, and her agent told her, that the show was about her. That is why the show was called "Gilligan's Island" That should of been a clue there to her. At the beginning, Natalie Schafer (Lovey Howell) hated the show. She thought it was the worst piece of crap ever made, but soon started to really love working on the show with the cast (esp. Dawn Wells) and just started to have fun with the show itself.

Those are the rumors that I heard about Gilligan's Island. Take it with a grain of salt unless you can prove it.

notalkallstatic said:
From what I understood (these could false,) Ginger was a real b!tch on the set. She only wanted certain camera angles, and her agent told her, that the show was about her. That is why the show was called "Gilligan's Island" That should of been a clue there to her. At the beginning, Natalie Schafer (Lovey Howell) hated the show. She thought it was the worst piece of crap ever made, but soon started to really love working on the show with the cast (esp. Dawn Wells) and just started to have fun with the show itself.

Those are the rumors that I heard about Gilligan's Island. Take it with a grain of salt unless you can prove it.

Several years ago one of the cable channels had a one-hour documentary on G.I. and interviewed the producer, Sherwood Schwartz, as well as the then-surviving cast members. Schwartz didn't call Tina Louise a bitch on the set but did tell the story of her believing she was to be the central character on the show (supposedly by her manager) until Schwartz explained it to her. She was very upset and almost bolted the show but apparently remained for contract purposes. This is the main reason given for her refusal to participate in subsequent features about the show.

Schwartz also told the story of Schafer which is true as related here. She was a 'serious' film and stage actress and saw the G.I. role as a big step-down but eventually had fun with the role and apparently she, as everyone else, became very fond of Jim Backus.

One of the females, I can't remember which, took the pilot trip because it was to be filmed in Hawaii so thought she'd get a vacation out of it.

The documentary might have been on E! It is interesting to watch if you were a fan of the show or any of the characters. It always seemed to me to be something like a grown-up version of Our Gang. I think the episode where Phil Silvers (whose company Gladaseeya or summat had distribution or production rights) played a marooned Hollywood producer and parodied himself is my favorite.

landtuna said:
One of the females, I can't remember which, took the pilot trip because it was to be filmed in Hawaii so thought she'd get a vacation out of it.

It was Natalie Schafer (Mrs. Howell.) After thinking about it, I remember seeing that special you are talking about. (I'm still a huge fan of the show, wish TBS would show it again in reruns like back in the 90s)

I saw it too. It was a "True Hollywood Story." Too bad they don't show those any more.

Supposedly, 'Gilligan's Island'(or whatever the title would have been) was pitched to Louise as a sitcom about a movie star and some of her Hollywood hangers-on (agent, chauffeur, wardrobe/make up guy, who knows who else) shipwrecked with the crusty old skipper and dumb first mate.

Not necessarily actors, but Lawrence Welk fired his original Champagne Lady Alice Lon in 1959 because she wanted to show off her legs and Welk refused at that and Lon was replaced by Norma Zimmer. I'm sure that there are more Lawrence Welk stories floating around where Welk wasn't actually gracious to his regulars on the show.

Ultimajock said:
...it's hardly a secret that the odd guy out in the MWC cast was Faustino, not O'Neill or Applegate. Note that, of all the Bundy actors, only Faustino hasn't managed to land a series of his own that ran for more than a single season...

...and just how does not having a second successful TV series make him a pariah? ??? That's kind of a big club.

I'll grant you the Welk story sounds strange now, but Alice Lon was the lady circa 1960 - maybe earlier. Believe me, It was a FAMILY SHOW in
a much different world.

Believe it or not, nobody was showing their belly buttons or exposing breasts on tv back then (really!) . Lucy and Desi were married but slept in seperate beds. Jack Parr couldn't say TOILET (he was chastised for saying "water closet"). Welk's morals fit those times. I never heard that as the reason she left. Can you source that?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom