• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

California on Fire Watch

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/brush-fire-sparks-off-i805-in-chula-vista

CHULA VISTA, Calif. (KGTV) – Fire crews Wednesday night responded to a brush fire in Chula Vista amid dry conditions.

According to California Highway Patrol, the fire started off of Interstate 805 North near E Street around 8:42 p.m.

CHP says the fire may have started in a homeless encampment.

By 9 p.m., Chula Vista Police told CHP no flames were visible in the area.

Here are some of the other fires in the San Diego area.

https://abc7.com/north-hollywood-fire-destroys-3-businesses-knocks-out-power-to-area/5667234/

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Flames consumed three North Hollywood businesses overnight after a structure fire broke out and smoldered for several hours before crews got them under control.

The blaze erupted early Saturday morning at an auto body shop along the 6800 block of North Lankershim Boulevard north of Vanowen Street, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department. The charred structures also housed a movie set design studio and an art supply and packaging warehouse, all with highly flammable material inside.

The inferno continued to burn more than eight hours after it ignited as fire crews stamped out hot spots well into Saturday afternoon.

Now another fire is reported in the Los Angeles area.

https://ktla.com/2019/11/02/maria-f...hreatening-thousands-of-ventura-county-homes/

Firefighters managed to get 30% containment of the massive Maria Fire after it burned through more than a dozen square miles within a day, authorities said Saturday.

The wildfire burned 9,412 acres as it threatened thousands of homes in Eastern Ventura, Santa Paula, Somis and Camarillo, according to the Ventura County Fire Department. Some evacuations orders were lifted Friday night, when authorities said it was 10,700 acres and 0% contained.

"We are looking to start letting residents return to their homes shortly," said Mike Desforges, a spokesman for VCFD, on Saturday morning.

He did not specify when evacuation orders would be lifted but said no additional orders were issued overnight.

The Maria Fire has destroyed at least three structures and on Friday night threatened some 2,700 others, authorities said. It erupted on South Mountain during the tail end of a Santa Ana wind event that put Southern California authorities on high alert.

i swear these wildfires seasons get worse and worse every year for California. maybe it's time for a new Hollywood away from a part of the counttry that always shaking or burning down.

and on the topic of climate change, i know it's real, but us trying to things to stop it, we have waited too late to do anything to save our planet, the time to act was 15 years ago. we are 15 years too late.

i swear these wildfires seasons get worse and worse every year for California. maybe it's time for a new Hollywood away from a part of the counttry that always shaking or burning down.

You know why Hollywood, and more generally, California, was picked as a location for the film industry? Weather.

It's hard to find a location that has good sunny weather, very few days of rain, workable year-round temperatures and a convenient location.

Thee last significant earthquake in the LA area was in 1994, and it did very little damage to any of the movie studios or shoot locations.

The last destructive fire that came near a studio was a couple of acre brush fire on a hill near the 134 and 2 freeways, and it was put out with no damage of significance.

They are not going to move a multi-billion dollar infrastructure over something the folks in the business do not perceive to be a problem.

and on the topic of climate change, i know it's real, but us trying to things to stop it, we have waited too late to do anything to save our planet, the time to act was 15 years ago. we are 15 years too late.

That's your opinion, and in any case the major sources of pollution are found in China, India and many developing nations like Brazil, Mexico, Egypt and the like. The movie industry can't react to that as it has no control over world governments.

I don't think that reporting on fires that are "normal" house and business fires caused by faulty wiring, an accident or negligence have anything to do with the California wildfires. There are similar house and building fires from Florida t Maine, and from Seattle to El Paso. They are not related to the wildfire issue of dry and windy weather, a strong rainy season in early 2019 causing lots of brushland growth, aggressive building in areas historically prone to natural fires and general overpopulation issues.

The main reason those fires in California turn into huge, destructive conflagrations is the wind. The high Santa Ana winds carry burning embers all over the place and instead of 1 or 2 structures going up in flames you can suddenly have hundreds at risk. High winds also complicate the dropping of water and fire retardant on the fires and can prevent certain types of firefighting aircraft from flying at all.

It doesn't help that CA residents tend to build their million dollar estates on top of hills which become the wick in the candle when fire naturally drives itself uphill. In addition, some of those developments tend to be on very narrow and hard to navigate roads which can quickly become blocked in an emergency. Last time I lived in CA developers were still building houses with shake shingle roofs. Very stupid!

The main reason those fires in California turn into huge, destructive conflagrations is the wind. The high Santa Ana winds carry burning embers all over the place and instead of 1 or 2 structures going up in flames you can suddenly have hundreds at risk. High winds also complicate the dropping of water and fire retardant on the fires and can prevent certain types of firefighting aircraft from flying at all.

It doesn't help that CA residents tend to build their million dollar estates on top of hills which become the wick in the candle when fire naturally drives itself uphill. In addition, some of those developments tend to be on very narrow and hard to navigate roads which can quickly become blocked in an emergency. Last time I lived in CA developers were still building houses with shake shingle roofs. Very stupid!

P.S. The original film industry began in New Jersey.

The latest obstacle to airborne drops comes from morons, idiots and cretins flying drones over the fires.

Shake is prohibited in most places per code, and in others insurance will not cover them.

The bigger issue is that lots of lower cost housing is in the rolling hills and foothills of CA. Land to dry to farm, and too uneven for commercial or industrial use. It is a natural firetrap as the wet and dry season cycle creates lots of fuel. The winds only make it worse.

P.S. The original film industry began in New Jersey.

But it quickly moved to CA as the weather in NJ sucks.

The latest obstacle to airborne drops comes from morons, idiots and cretins flying drones over the fires.

Yup. Like cell phones a double edged sword. Here in PHX we've still got the mentally inadequate flashing lasers into cockpits as they take off or land.

Shake is prohibited in most places per code, and in others insurance will not cover them.

My experience was in northern CA in the late 80's. What always surprised me was that they were permitted in the first place.

But it quickly moved to CA as the weather in NJ sucks.

The primary driver in the old days was movie production by companies like Thomas Edison's. Back in the very early years of the 1900's most of NJ was pretty rural. But you're right.....the weather was generally much worse than in SoCal.

This wouldn't work for everyone, but I remember a news program that did a story on the one house that survived one of these fires years ago. It was built by a man from Vietnam who could afford it and knew what it was like to lose everything. He built his house so well that firefighters knew they could save it.

This wouldn't work for everyone, but I remember a news program that did a story on the one house that survived one of these fires years ago. It was built by a man from Vietnam who could afford it and knew what it was like to lose everything. He built his house so well that firefighters knew they could save it.

Having been in Vietnam for a while and seeing what passes (passed?) for housing I would question that.

It is possible to build a virtual fire proof house. There are two problems (at least). One, it would be prohibitively expensive (compared to normal housing) and two, although the roof and walls might still be standing after a flash fire passes through the contents would be incinerated due to the intense heat.

I guess you could build underground with survival systems such as a clean air supply but it would be like living in a cave (or someone's basement). There is a house like that in my neighborhood but 1/3 of it is above ground so still vulnerable. Come to think of it.....didn't Hitler live in something like that and constantly complained about the "wet concrete smell"?

One of my northern CA neighbors had a swimming pool and he fashioned a system of pipes on his roof that he claimed would wet the whole house down. He had a giant electric pump to feed the water. Only forgot one thing. He didn't allow for power failure. He did have a generator but it was among the first things to burn when his propane tank vented and torched it. Much easier to live in an area not surrounded by nice dry fuel.

One of my neighbors here has a huge basement where he stores his classic car collection (about a dozen or so). I can't wait for that house to go up in flames. Old, leaky classic cars?

I don't think that reporting on fires that are "normal" house and business fires caused by faulty wiring, an accident or negligence have anything to do with the California wildfires. There are similar house and building fires from Florida t Maine, and from Seattle to El Paso. They are not related to the wildfire issue of dry and windy weather, a strong rainy season in early 2019 causing lots of brushland growth, aggressive building in areas historically prone to natural fires and general overpopulation issues.

True but these fires just happened to be clustered at similar timings though.

Having been in Vietnam for a while and seeing what passes (passed?) for housing I would question that.
I may be wrong about Vietnam, but I do know this man wanted to be prepared and he knew there was danger. And where he was from he was used to preparing for danger. Based on what I remember he did, he must have had money.
It is possible to build a virtual fire proof house. There are two problems (at least). One, it would be prohibitively expensive (compared to normal housing) and two, although the roof and walls might still be standing after a flash fire passes through the contents would be incinerated due to the intense heat.
He must have had money, like I said. And because they knew this house could be made to survive, the firefighters made an effort.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article237018884.html

Now the Ranch Fire is being reported in Tehama County.

More than 1,000 firefighters continue to battle a wildfire burning in a remote area of Tehama County that has nearly quadrupled in size between Monday and Tuesday mornings, now burning more than three square miles.

The Ranch Fire, burning about 25 miles southwest of Red Bluff, is now 2,000 acres and is 15 percent contained as of a Tuesday morning incident update by Cal Fire, up from 550 acres and 10 percent containment the previous morning.

One person has been injured in connection with the fire, according to the Cal Fire website. No further details were available, and it was not clear whether the injured party was a civilian or emergency personnel.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/240894/tv-stations-no-1-source-for-calif-fire-news/

“The California Wildfires Media Usage Study is another proof point among a multitude of research confirming local broadcast television’s continued dominant position among consumers as the most trusted and relied upon news source for potentially life-saving coverage in times of emergency.”

Key insights from the study include:

News Source: 79% of respondents used TV station news for information about the wildfires as compared to the second highest, radio, at 47%.
Time Spent: At 2 hours and 35 minutes, respondents spent more time with local broadcast television than any other source, more than twice the time spent with radio, the second highest platform.
Information Source for Wildfire Preparation: 62% of respondents chose TV stations for information when preparing for emergency situations.
Trust: Local broadcast TV news assets were the most trusted source for coverage and information. 90% of respondents agreed that TV station news was the most trusted, while TV station news websites and apps were also a trusted source at 81%. Social media was the lowest at 58%.
Why Local TV Assets? The top reason cited for watching TV station news was that respondents wanted information pertaining to their area. The top reason cited for using TV station news websites and apps was that they trust the news from their station’s website/app.

A study released on how many people relied on TV and Radio for fire coverage.

https://abc7.com/small-brush-fire-consumes-34-acres-in-hollywood-hills/5686495/

Now a brush fire is reported near the Warner Brothers Studios.

HOLLYWOOD HILLS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Firefighters were battling a small brush fire in the Hollywood Hills area Saturday afternoon, officials said.

Over 230 Los Angeles Fire Department air and ground units responded to the blaze near 3694 North Barham Blvd. around 1:52 p.m., fire officials said. The blaze had burned at least 34 acres of moderate to heavy brush and was 15% contained by 6:30 p.m.

The blaze was burning at a slow rate with no wind, according to LAFD. Officials said the fire, which was burning near Warner Bros. Studios, was moving away from structures and spreading toward Griffith Park.

Plumes of thick smoke could be seen for several miles. Firefighters stopped forward progress of the blaze a few hours after it ignited, hoping to keep it confined within Forest Lawn Cemetery.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom