• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ford Reconsiders, Now Keeping AM Radio

True. This is probably in part because seemingly everyone drives Teslas around here, and those haven't had AM for years....
There are around 1.3 million Tesla cars on the road today, versus 283 million total motor vehicles on the road.

Around 0.5% of all vehicles is hardly "everyone". If it were the share of a radio station, it would be last.

What do you mean “keep”?

Ford's announcement matters not because of its EVs (and Tesla is an all-EV company), but because it was about to become the first company to drop AM radios from its ICE cars. Yes, as part of its "reconsideration", it's putting AM back in the Lightning and the Mach-E, but don't expect EV makers to suddenly start making AM available.

Had Ford gone ahead and not suffered any consequences, there would have been very little reason for GM and others to keep putting AM in cars. This probably slows that.

Had Ford gone ahead and not suffered any consequences, there would have been very little reason for GM and others to keep putting AM in cars. This probably slows that.

People should not assume because one car maker said it will continue to add AM for one year that any other car maker will do the same. This is why the legislation hasn't been withdrawn. It's still in the pipeline. What Ford said only applies to Ford.

I think it's a good decision for now, but let's face reality, within 20 yrears, AM radio will be non-existant.
In many markets (Cleveland specifically), AM already IS non-existent.

People should not assume because one car maker said it will continue to add AM for one year that any other car maker will do the same. This is why the legislation hasn't been withdrawn. It's still in the pipeline. What Ford said only applies to Ford.
The bill doesn’t need to be withdrawn. There’s a very good chance the bill’s proponents are all going “Hooray, we saved AM radio” and forget about it until a new Congress is seated two years later, and Ford tries again to remove AM.

The “hooray, we _________” mentality runs deep.

Meanwhile, Homeland Security deemed AM important enough to install hardened radio AM transmitters at various locations nationwide.

I'm sure those millions weren't spent on a whim. This article about it was in 2011, just 12 years ago. I think I might have read somewhere that a couple FMs here and there were also included, but I'm not 100% certain about that one.

In many markets (Cleveland specifically), AM already IS non-existent.
Considering that there is only one signal that comes close to fully covering the market, that is not surprising.

How does one "target" a demographic that's nonexistent on the AM band?
Well, to start, maybe better advertising to raise awareness that it's still a thing?

And then maybe better programming that younger people want (most will go for streaming regardless because of better quality, though, but even with all the man made RFI, AM can sound better than it does.

Be that as it may, I guess it's a complicated problem, and if there were a viable solution worthy of trying, someone would've tried it by now. Oh, well....

c

Back
Top Bottom