• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ford Reconsiders, Now Keeping AM Radio

Re: FM audio processing - in 1974 I was listening to KBEQ FM (song: Bennie and the Jets), their audio processing caused the midrange and treble to drop noticeably in volume when the bass notes at the beginning of the song occurred (I didn't notice this anomaly on KIIK FM).

I would think this type of (mis)adjustment wouldn't have happened this late in radio broadcasting.

Kirk Bayne
In '74, a lot of stations were still dealing with old Audimax and Volumax units.

Mike Dorrough's early six-band processing units were around 1976 (we borrowed one for long-term testing at KUKI in Ukiah). That was the same time that Bob Kanner built home-made nine-band units for the RKO stations (and processed the mic separately from the music).

Optimods came later than that.

Last edited:
Also, FM in the late 1960s and early 1970s sounded kind of sterile and stale. By the late 1970s FM stations discovered that audio processing was a thing. NPR uses more processing now than the equivalent FM station would have used in 1971, at least in my metro.
In the late 60's and early 70's, all we had were devices like the Audimax and Volumax to control levels and enhance presence, loudness and density.

By the mid-70's we had the Optimod and a variety of processors from Greg Oginowski, Eric Small and other innovators who used rapidly developing semiconductors to create new options. We took multiple recording studio devices like the LA-3A and combined them with crossover networks to do multi-band processing.

By the 80's nearly everything had multiple band processing and the era of processors pumping up background noise was gone.
I would hazard a guess that the additional audio processing used on FM during the mid-to-late 70s boosted the audience, because the jocks sounded better, the music sounded a little better. In 1969 all the FMs I remember hearing as a kid sounded like the mic and the turntable were directly connected to the transmitter. I.e., little to no compression, and zero processing. I.e., sterile sounding.
Not really. By the earliest 60's we had the Audimax and Volumax, and nearly every station had moved to them and had put the old Level Devil in the closet. We got things like CBS' Dynamic Presence Equalizer to avoid the "garage band" sound on some small label productions, and we started using graphic equalizers to tailor a unique "station sound".
All the announcers sounded half asleep. Some of it was the 'hip', sedate FM delivery, but that obviously had to change.
Lots of exceptions. We got the first emphasis of FM for formats like Top 40 from stations that realized their AM was not as good as the potential of their FM. For example, in late 1969 WPGC, a daytime Top 40 in the DC market realized its FM was fulltime and sounded better so they increased power and began promoting themselves as FM. By '71 and '72 we got a whole slew of FM Top 40 stations like WMYQ in Miami, WDRQ in Detroit and KSLQ in St Louis that pushed that format onto the "new" band. A year later, Abrams developed his formatted Album Rock format under the "Superstars" banner and it rapidly was adopted all over the country.

In '74, a lot of stations were still dealing with old Audimax and Volumax units.
The later "thin" CBS units were not bad. They were just not multi-band and they were not set up to have variable settings for different "needs" and formats. But many of us had discovered as early as the mid-60's how to swap out components and make those units more aggressive.
Mike Derrough's early six-band processing units were around 1976 (we borrowed one for long-term testing at KUKI in Ukiah). That was the same time that Bob Kanner built home-made nine-band units for the RKO stations (and processed the mic separately from the music).
That was one of several multi-band units. I had Oginowski's three-band AM processor around 1977, probably the first multiband unit designed for AM. Mine was a prototype and I was on constant phone calls with Greg as new cards were swapped in and the system was developed.
I put an Orban 8000 Optimod in WSRA in San Juan in late 1975.

As compared with a lesser-processed station, it made the processed station stand out more when someone was turning the dial of their old capacitance-tuned radio. That, and AM heavily processed AM stations had a slight fringe coverage advantage by running asymmetrical modulation (+125 peak). And this was when all there was is radio.
And then we had the Eric Small's Modulation Sciences and his device which attempted to make everything into square waves with drastic peak clipping.

Earlier than I thought. Were you one of the first?
No, I was putting a rebuilt station on the air and picked the "latest and greatest" based on the opinion of some friends in engineering. I guess I had one of the first hundred or so of them, though.

And especially after the loudness wars, people began to value dynamics over pure loudness, so a more dynamic sounding station, even if it's a bit quieter, would sound better, and attract more listeners, I'd suppose?
One of the issues that made the loudness wars objectionable was that processing took place "real time" and depended on things like the slew rate of semiconductors to allow processing to avoid chopping up waveforms. But it still did noxious things.

When developers figured out that they could delay the "real" audio while the processor analyzed and predicted settings in real time, then a lot of the distortion was eliminated. The real time "preview audio" made adjustments that were applied to the delayed audio without all the artifacts previously experienced and sound got much better.

Think of it as having a copilot next to you in a car on a winding road, telling you in advance of nasty curves to reduce speed precisely the right amount to make the curve safely but at the highest possible speed.

Mike Dorrough's early six-band processing units were around 1976 (we borrowed one for long-term testing at KUKI in Ukiah). That was the same time that Bob Kanner built home-made nine-band units for the RKO stations (and processed the mic separately from the music).

I'm thinking 1976 or 1977. My college station held a fundraiser to get one, and it was installed in 1978, replacing a UREI limiter. The station instantly sounded much better. The UREI limiter threw off the spectral balance - thank you, pre-emphasis curve! - and made our 430 watts sound that much punier.

A prototype of the Optimod 8000 was shown at the NAB convention in June 1975. So installing one in late 1975 would indeed be among the earliest ones produced.
But the first one was simply a "better" Audimax/Volumax, using technology and design that was not possible prior to that time. The function was technically improved, but the objective was the same: peak limiting to be legal and high average levels to be loud.

I just found the Dorrough site---their first three-band processor debuted in 1973.

At that point, I was still at KIBS in Bishop, running Audimax and Volumax. I don't know what KSLY used when I was there in '74.

At KUKI in early 1976, our 19-year-old Chief Engineer, David Williams (now retired after a couple of decades as head of engineering for iHeart in San Francisco) had the same reaction to KFRC's audio once Bob Kanner put in his nine-channel box that I did---it sounded insanely good.

He drove down to the city and convinced Mike Dorrough that we'd be a terrific test bed for his six-channel system---got our audio to the point where it wasn't embarrassing A/Bing us with KFRC, and for free!

But the first one was simply a "better" Audimax/Volumax, using technology and design that was not possible prior to that time. The function was technically improved, but the objective was the same: peak limiting to be legal and high average levels to be loud.
The Optimod 8000 can only do about 7 dB of gain reduction before it starts to sound bad. But even that was better than what some FM stations were using at the time:

Re: FM audio processing - in 1974 I was listening to KBEQ FM (song: Bennie and the Jets), their audio processing caused the midrange and treble to drop noticeably in volume when the bass notes at the beginning of the song occurred (I didn't notice this anomaly on KIIK FM).

I would think this type of (mis)adjustment wouldn't have happened this late in radio broadcasting.
Wodlinger's stations were notorious for aggressive processing. It was rumored that there was a whole chain of processing in use. KBEQ kept that style of processing even after he sold it. Then Wodlinger moved KZZC in from Leavenworth and the loudness war really began. Loudness didn't win in this case, and by 1990, KBEQ had backed off considerably and had a very listenable sound.

The Optimod 8000 can only do about 7 dB of gain reduction before it starts to sound bad. But even that was better than what some FM stations were using at the time:
That's why a lot of us did things like putting a bunch of LA-3's with a crossover network to do some moderately aggressive leveling before the audio hit the Optimod.

Good clip of WLS from the mid-70s. Great detail in the treble but a lot of distortion in the midrange. I assume that's caused by the midrange frequencies being brickwalled by the analog processor. It sounds like most of the AM off-air monitors I remember hearing in the 1980s.

Wasn't aware Steve Forbes is still alive. He wrote an editorial for AM Radio:
It's Steve who is still alive. Malcom passed in 1990. I still have a copy of one of the editions of "Sayings of Chairman Malcom" from era when a copy of Forbes was always in my briefcase for plane trips and hotel stays.

Forbes said, “This brings us to another mortal threat to both AM and FM radio: Auto manufacturers want to tap into the billions of dollars in potential revenue from subscriptions for various services on the auto dashboard as it becomes more technologically sophisticated. Their appetites have been whetted by drivers’ willingness to pay subscription fees for SiriusXM. Why give away all that radio programming for free?”

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.

At my first commercial station, KWRE in Warrenton, Mo. in 1976, the audio went through some sort of Gates automatic leveler. It was a tube-type device...just about everything in the station dated to the early 1960s. It wasn't a "Level Devil". The distinctive thing about this device that I remember is that it clicked (as well as flashing a light) whenever a peak exceeded its limits. Anyone know anything about this kind of device?

As you might imagine, KWRE tended to undermodulate a bit, though its 730 kHz frequency still gave it good coverage.

At my first commercial station, KWRE in Warrenton, Mo. in 1976, the audio went through some sort of Gates automatic leveler. It was a tube-type device...just about everything in the station dated to the early 1960s. It wasn't a "Level Devil". The distinctive thing about this device that I remember is that it clicked (as well as flashing a light) whenever a peak exceeded its limits. Anyone know anything about this kind of device?
A Sta-Level?

1685572360055.png

Or the Level Devil
1685572614569.png

Or a Solid Statesman

1685572507891.png

Back
Top Bottom