• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How often do djs hate what they play?

I'm at a bit of a loss to see the spiritual connection.

I once saw a church ad that played the song "Take Me to Church" by Hozier in the background. The connection was obviously "Take Me to Church" and definitely not the remainder of the lyrics. My understanding is the "church" in the song is actually a swingers' club!

I was wondering that. It would seem to me djs would either get tired of a certain song or downright hate certain songs on their playlist. Thoughts?

All-the-time. I played plenty of songs I hated during my time in radio. I don't think the listener generally knew.

About the only artist I ever panned on-air was James Blunt, and that was to talk about a website that had a parody of "You're Beautiful" (before Weird Al's version) and allowed you to throw tomatoes at a cartoon of Blunt. Later, a C&D and lawsuit threat silenced the actual music on the website, which gave me the opportunity to talk about it again.

I also once said my dad didn't like "The Police" and "Sting" and commonly referred to him as "Stink." The only person who complained about me saying that was my dad.

The only time I ever spiked a song was around this time of year when Mellencamp's version of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" came up. I'm generally a Mellencamp fan, but I really hate that version of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." I'd already played it several times leading up to seeing it again on my list. I replaced it with a different version of the song that was in our catalog, and the listener never had any idea. I don't recommend doing that, but, depending on where you are, you can sometimes get away with that, especially with Christmas songs.

Replacing the "call my name" verse with a repetition of the "don't forget about me" verse is somehow more spiritual?
I think that the intention was to give the song a nicer ending that would be appropriate to that particular setting.

I'll tell you what I would have done if I were at that worship service. Instead of singing the repetition of the chorus, I would have sung the la's the way that Jim Kerr sang them on Simple Minds' original version.

I think that the intention was to give the song a nicer ending that would be appropriate to that particular setting.

I'll tell you what I would have done if I were at that worship service. Instead of singing the repetition of the chorus, I would have sung the la's the way that Jim Kerr sang them on Simple Minds' original version.
I'm still not sure that fixes it. Are we really telling the Almighty:

I won't harm you or touch your defenses
Vanity and security, ah

I'm still not sure that fixes it.
Let's put it this way: as a speaker of the Spanish language, I take my la's seriously.

I'll conclude my part in this particular discussion with a compliation of the many la's that have been sung at the Eurovision Song Contest over the years. Enjoy! :)

I'm at a bit of a loss to see the spiritual connection.
At the church I formerly went to (which was Evangelical), they would sometimes use a popular secular song to illustrate a point, or introduce the subject of the sermon. (Once it was "Slip Slidin' Away by Paul Simon, and even "Layla"...acoustic version, to illustrate lust, I think).

Yes, but they changed the ending a bit, as you will see in the quote, highlighted in bold. This was at a progressive church.
I've heard of churches performing a version of John Lennon's "Imagine". They skip over or change the atheist parts of the lyrics.

Same thing with "My Sweet Lord". They leave out or change all the other lords that George mentions which you're not supposed to be worshipping.

I've heard of churches performing a version of John Lennon's "Imagine". They skip over or change the atheist parts of the lyrics.

Back about 30-ish years ago, there was a multi-sport event called the "US Olympic Festival" which was sponsored by the US Olympic Committee (supposed to be sort of a training ground for future American Olympians). In 1987 these games were held in the Raleigh-Durham NC area.

There was a concert performance at a local stadium as part of the USOF, and one of the featured singers was Roberta Flack. Her set list that afternoon included a performance of "Imagine".

The Bible thumpers in attendance were not pleased to hear lyrics asking them to "Imagine there's no heaven....and no religion too". I don't recall specifically but I'm sure somebody, somewhere had to issue a public apology.

Last edited:
The Bible thumpers in attendance were not pleased to hear a song that features lyrics such as "Imagine there's no heaven....and no religion too". I don't recall specifically but I'm sure somebody, somewhere had to issue a public apology.
Back in the early 90's a friend of mine and I met at a local pizza place one Saturday afternoon. There was a local Mormon group of probably 30-40 nicely dressed folks occupying a nearby meeting room. My friend made it a point of dropping about $5 of quarters into the jukebox playing only one song over and over: Losing My Religion by R.E.M.

Back in the early 90's a friend of mine and I met at a local pizza place one Saturday afternoon. There was a local Mormon group of probably 30-40 nicely dressed folks occupying a nearby meeting room. My friend made it a point of dropping about $5 of quarters into the jukebox playing only one song over and over: Losing My Religion by R.E.M.
Well, that was a bit mean spirited. I am reminded of “respect for the rights of others is peace” said by Benito Juárez about 175 years ago.

Same thing with "My Sweet Lord". They leave out or change all the other lords that George mentions which you're not supposed to be worshipping.
That's pathetic if true.

A Classic episode of "WKRP in Cincinnati" had a religious leader trying to censor the station playlist. They pressured them into dropping songs or they would get the advertisers to boycott the station. IMAGINE was a song that was deemed profane. The episode ends with Travis & Carlson telling the guy to basically screw off...

That's pathetic if true.
Pathetic, yes..But it shouldn't be surprising. Not to derail this thread about DJs hating certain songs or content any more than it's already been, but There are myriad examples of churches or religions changing the meaning of things (even Biblical scripture) to suit their own needs or to fit the message they're choosing to deliver. It's one of the many reasons many folks 40 and under may consider themselves "spiritual" and having "faith", but don't necessarily belong to any particular organized religion, nor are they a member of any religious denomination.

“Tell me you have no confidence in the relatability of your own hymns or worship music without telling me you have no confidence in the relatability of your own hymns or worship music.”

It is all bs. I like these songs without the religious undertone. If you can appreciate just the melody then you have succeeded. I can appreciate “My Sweet Lord” musically without trying to understand the religious overtures. A good song is a good song.

It is all bs. I like these songs without the religious undertone. If you can appreciate just the melody then you have succeeded. I can appreciate “My Sweet Lord” musically without trying to understand the religious overtures. A good song is a good song.
"He's So Fine" was an excellent piece of pop-music songwriting. George Harrison had excellent taste when he "borrowed" its melody.

There's about 15 messages on whether it's appropriate or not to use pop music in a religious worship setting, which is an engaging topic !! So I'm assuming it's okay to be slightly off-topic in this thread, which is after all, about popular music. At any rate, remember the old "Sister Act" movies from the 90's with Whoopi Goldberg? The premise of those movies was that uptempo music will bring young people to church to hear a message of spiritual understanding. ( This is debatable, but it makes for a heartwarming film, LOL. )
Here's Whoopi as choir director, conducting an oldies but goodie "I Will Follow Him", originally sung by Little Peggy March in the early 60's. They also do a rock version of "Hail Holy Queen", which sounds pretty good, actually.
😊l

I know sometimes djs get to play a single song they like however. I know dave o on mix 93.3 has a segment called "oh no you didnt" where he sometimes spins an old song. Ive even heard lucky by britney spears, which isnt super common.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom