• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How often do djs hate what they play?

Back in the old days, like the 80's and 90's, how did DJ's keep track of the last time that a song was played? For example, if the DJ on the shift before your shift had played a song in the last hour, how would you know, unless you happened to be listening? I always wondered if there were some way to make a note of the time of day when the song was played. For example, if you played a Janet Jackson song on your shift, then how would the DJ whose show started immediately after your show be aware of when you played that song?
I know I am a few days late with this response, and I know others have already responded, but I wanted to answer this and add to it. At KDON, we had Selector in the late 80s, which kept the playlist in sync. One of the extra things that I would do, and I don't think other jocks on our station did this but even as a teenager I was cognizant of the rotations. Often my shows would come up against or come off of a syndicated show or countdown show. They always provided the playlist hour by hour. I would check their list against my last hour or first hour to make sure that I wasn't playing a song that was going to be playing within the hour. I would check the category of the rotation and then jump ahead or back in our playlist to match the same category to a different song. Since the syndicated shows were two to four hours long usually, it made for an adequate rotation and we didn't sound stupid by playing the same song so close together. A few years ago I heard an iHeart Top 40 station which would go into a syndicated show at 7 PM weeknights. They ended the 6:00 hour with a current hit, and then started the syndicated show at 7 with the exact same song. It just sounded awful, like someone didn't know what they were doing. That's what happens when you let automation handle lazy rotations.

I know I am a few days late with this response, and I know others have already responded, but I wanted to answer this and add to it. At KDON, we had Selector in the late 80s, which kept the playlist in sync. One of the extra things that I would do, and I don't think other jocks on our station did this but even as a teenager I was cognizant of the rotations. Often my shows would come up against or come off of a syndicated show or countdown show. They always provided the playlist hour by hour. I would check their list against my last hour or first hour to make sure that I wasn't playing a song that was going to be playing within the hour. I would check the category of the rotation and then jump ahead or back in our playlist to match the same category to a different song. Since the syndicated shows were two to four hours long usually, it made for an adequate rotation and we didn't sound stupid by playing the same song so close together. A few years ago I heard an iHeart Top 40 station which would go into a syndicated show at 7 PM weeknights. They ended the 6:00 hour with a current hit, and then started the syndicated show at 7 with the exact same song. It just sounded awful, like someone didn't know what they were doing. That's what happens when you let automation handle lazy rotations.
Last I knew a station could input the songs that the syndicated show had on its runsheet into Selectorin order to prevent that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom