• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How often do djs hate what they play?

And Sister Act 2 had Lauryn Hill doing a gospel version of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy", ( a traditional standard in most Christian church hymnals regardless of denomination) where Lauryn sings it Aretha Franklin style. Then the choir comes in and does hip-hop choroegraphy to it. Lauryn Hill has a powerful, clear voice, much like the "Queen of Soul". I miss Aretha ! But, as an old-school person, my point is that arrangements and melodies from the 50's-90's are so durable, that they'll always be with us. 🎶- Daryl

And Sister Act 2 had Lauryn Hill doing a gospel version of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy", ( a traditional standard in most Christian church hymnals regardless of denomination) where Lauryn sings it Aretha Franklin style. Then the choir comes in and does hip-hop choroegraphy to it. Lauryn Hill has a powerful, clear voice, much like the "Queen of Soul". I miss Aretha ! But, as an old-school person, my point is that arrangements and melodies from the 50's-90's are so durable, that they'll always be with us. 🎶- Daryl

In 1970, Miguel Rios had an international hit with "Song of Joy," an interpretation of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony excerpt with new lyrics.

“Tell me you have no confidence in the relatability of your own hymns or worship music without telling me you have no confidence in the relatability of your own hymns or worship music.”
I worked at a station that did a secular oldies format but was owned by a ministry. "My Sweet Lord" was of course, off the table, but we as staff went to the wall over "Sweet Cherry Wine", because, well, wine. After explaining that the "wine" alluded to the blood of Jesus, The Shondells finally stayed.

There are remakes of secular songs by Christian artists, and that was an earlier discussion here: https://www.radiodiscussions.com/th...d-get-away-with-on-a-religous-station.541238/

Kansas had several members who were Christians in the 80's and some of their songs at that time reflected it.

George Harrison's version of My Sweet Lord is questionable among Christians because it was sung about Hare Krishna rather than God or Jesus, but Leon Patillo (Former Santana member) redid it with Christian lyrics.

Other songs that were redone by CCM artists:
Jesus is Just Alright and Sprirt in the Sky - DC Talk
People Get Ready - Darrell Mansfield, Margaret Becker, possibly others
Are You Ready and That's the way God Planned It - DeGarmo and Key
Love is the Answer and Turn Turn Turn - Sheila Walsh
Presence of the Lord - Phil Keaggy, Rez Band, possibly others

In some cases there wasn't a need to redo the lyrics.

Some of these might not be used for Sunday morning worship but as long as they're done in the right way where the Christian message is clear and there aren't any other questionable lyrics I don't see anything wrong with it. :)

There are remakes of secular songs by Christian artists, and that was an earlier discussion here: https://www.radiodiscussions.com/th...d-get-away-with-on-a-religous-station.541238/

Kansas had several members who were Christians in the 80's and some of their songs at that time reflected it.

George Harrison's version of My Sweet Lord is questionable among Christians because it was sung about Hare Krishna rather than God or Jesus, but Leon Patillo (Former Santana member) redid it with Christian lyrics.

Other songs that were redone by CCM artists:
Jesus is Just Alright and Sprirt in the Sky - DC Talk
People Get Ready - Darrell Mansfield, Margaret Becker, possibly others
Are You Ready and That's the way God Planned It - DeGarmo and Key
Love is the Answer and Turn Turn Turn - Sheila Walsh
Presence of the Lord - Phil Keaggy, Rez Band, possibly others

In some cases there wasn't a need to redo the lyrics.

Some of these might not be used for Sunday morning worship but as long as they're done in the right way where the Christian message is clear and there aren't any other questionable lyrics I don't see anything wrong with it. :)
I have also heard "Let Your Love Flow" in this category. Here is a gospel version of it:

For any of the less curious of you, I will tell you that no lyrics were changed, so there is no need in clicking the link, if that is all that you were curious about.

Specific to this, I have heard George say in interviews that the first half of the song was intended to be Christian, with the second half hindu.

Well there is an interesting playlist of songs that some I know, some I don't going on thru this thread of stuff that I need to find on Apple Music to play now lol.
So back to DJs and music logs, did the add time dictate the music?
In other words, if I advertised on a station, would I pay to hear my business advertised at 2:30 PM ?
Thanks,
John

Ad time did not dictate music. Music was your product that brought the audience to hear the ad. If anything, hope the client has the wisdom to allow a spot that matches the station audience.

If a station, say in a small town, is dayparted, the music may vary from softer AC to Rock depending on the time of day. One station I worked was mainly lite rock 6 to 9am but by 10pm was AC/DC and hits that were rock oriented. The changes were not so abrupt but gradual. This was in a young community where business owners did not grow up on top 40, so the art was to not scare off the advertisers but not alienate the young audience.

Ad time did not dictate music. Music was your product that brought the audience to hear the ad. If anything, hope the client has the wisdom to allow a spot that matches the station audience.

If a station, say in a small town, is dayparted, the music may vary from softer AC to Rock depending on the time of day. One station I worked was mainly lite rock 6 to 9am but by 10pm was AC/DC and hits that were rock oriented. The changes were not so abrupt but gradual. This was in a young community where business owners did not grow up on top 40, so the art was to not scare off the advertisers but not alienate the young audience.
I remember WRKO Boston sounding different by day and by night, specifically when teens were in school and when they weren't. Country and MOR crossovers like "Skip a Rope" and "Les Bicyclettes de Belsize" would only be played between around 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.; hard rockers like "Purple Haze" and "I Can See for Miles" would be saved for late afternoon, evening and overnights.

I remember WRKO Boston sounding different by day and by night, specifically when teens were in school and when they weren't. Country and MOR crossovers like "Skip a Rope" and "Les Bicyclettes de Belsize" would only be played between around 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.; hard rockers like "Purple Haze" and "I Can See for Miles" would be saved for late afternoon, evening and overnights.
Years before I ever heard the word "daypart", if I was home from school sick or a weather closing day, I knew the music on CKLW wouldn't be as good (to my ears then) as it was other times. More Englebert, less Doors so it seemed. There's a brief midday aircheck with 4 songs on it, and 3 we were playing as a Westwood One Adult Standards affiliate in the late 90s.

Years before I ever heard the word "daypart", if I was home from school sick or a weather closing day, I knew the music on CKLW wouldn't be as good (to my ears then) as it was other times. More Englebert, less Doors so it seemed.
That is a very valid observation.

I'll illustrate with an extreme. I built my first radio station in 1964 in Ecuador, and it was that nation's first Top 40 station. But in that era, everyone went home for lunch between noon and 2:30 in the afternoon. Stores and offices and even factories closed.

So from 12:30 to 2 PM, we did contemporary pop instrumentals, from Paul Muriat to The Ventures. No vocals, just pop instrumentals.

Ratings were done by knocking on doors and asking "what are you listening to". Our noon hours got higher ratings then the earlier morning hours!

That is a very valid observation.

I'll illustrate with an extreme. I built my first radio station in 1964 in Ecuador, and it was that nation's first Top 40 station. But in that era, everyone went home for lunch between noon and 2:30 in the afternoon. Stores and offices and even factories closed.

So from 12:30 to 2 PM, we did contemporary pop instrumentals, from Paul Muriat to The Ventures. No vocals, just pop instrumentals.

Ratings were done by knocking on doors and asking "what are you listening to". Our noon hours got higher ratings then the earlier morning hours!

Thank you for the fascinating story ! You were saying that originally, you were from Cleveland, Ohio. So, I have some questions. How did you find yourself all of a sudden in Ecuador, and how did you learn Spanish so quickly in order to communicate with the staff? How did you convince the bank to fund your new business, or did you have another funding source? Do radio stations in South America operate on the same business model, in that businesses purchase advertising time, then the station uses that money to purchase records and hire staff members? How did you know which records to buy, or did you bring them with you from Ohio? Did you do most of the broadcasting yourself, or did you hire local DJ's? I'm sure you have told this story many times, but it sounds amazing. 😊😊😊
You could not have been very old, and the idea of a teenager from Ohio moving to Ecuador and starting his own radio station is really a unique biography. Thank you, from Daryl

( Edit - Sorry to be off-topic, and I can start a new thread if you wish).

The reason I ask this question, is because I used to live off and on in a little town outside of Mexico City, which had a lot of radio stations on the AM band back in the day. Mexico City is a big market - like New York City - about 7,000,000 people at the time. The young people from the states used to listen to XENK 620, which played kind of a combination of Top 40 and MOR, with DJ chat like you might hear on a combination of KRLA and KMPC. ( not like 93 KHJ which did not allow much chat). I always assumed that someone from Mexico City traveled to L.A., listened to top-rated L.A. stations, then used those as a model for XENK. But, that is my North American centrism, assuming perhaps incorrectly that everything in Latin America had to be duplicated from a USA model. -- Daryl

( I can make this a new thread, if you wish).

Thank you for the fascinating story ! You were saying that originally, you were from Cleveland, Ohio. So, I have some questions. How did you find yourself all of a sudden in Ecuador,
I did a year as an intern at Grupo Radio Centro, operators of 5 AM stations in Mexico City in 1963. I also spent about 3 months traveling through Central America, Colombia and Venezuela, visiting radio stations.

I went to Mexico because as I liked to listen to Latin American radio stations on AM late at night and particularly liked XEB-1220 which came in every night after local WGAR signed off. I'd tape it and listen to it while doing homework, going back to about 1960.

I had 5 years of Latin in school, as well as one for Fench and a year of advance HS Spanish to improve what I learned listening to station.
and how did you learn Spanish so quickly in order to communicate with the staff?
Mostly self taught from radio listening. For some reason, I loved Colombian cumbia music and between hearing HJED in Cali and XEB, I listened often for three or four hours a day. I'd even call XEB and request songs, and they'd have fun putting me on the air.
How did you convince the bank to fund your new business, or did you have another funding source?
From age 9 or so my dad taught me to invest. At 10 I bought a Chandler & Price printing press and did job printing and furthered my investments. I had part-time at WJMO and WCUY in Cleveland, and I invested that, too.
Do radio stations in South America operate on the same business model, in that businesses purchase advertising time, then the station uses that money to purchase records and hire staff members?
Same exact system. There was no Top 40 station in Ecuador when I got there to do my final year of high school, so I quit school and built a station with my savings.

How did you know which records to buy, or did you bring them with you from Ohio?
I got music correspondents in Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Italy, Cleveland and Argentina to get all the new releases in Top 40 music. Later, with my second station which was tropical music, I had visited Medellín, the location of the major Colombian labels, regularly and got all the new stuff sent to me, too.
Did you do most of the broadcasting yourself, or did you hire local DJ's? I'm sure you have told this story many times, but it sounds amazing. }
I hired the best DJs from music shows at other stations. Started out with a staff of about 14 people.
You could not have been very old, and the idea of a teenager from Ohio moving to Ecuador and starting his own radio station is really a unique biography. Thank you, from Daryl
I was 18 when my first station went on the air 58 years and 6 days ago.

Here I am in about 1968 at the "board" of HCRM, Radio Musical. Gates Yard, Gates Cartritape machines, Gates turntables, CBS Audimax, Reverb and EV mike.

1670821816526.png

And here I am in the manager's office. By that time, I had 5 stations in Quito.

1670821923723.png

The reason I ask this question, is because I used to live off and on in a little town outside of Mexico City, which had a lot of radio stations on the AM band back in the day. Mexico City is a big market - like New York City - about 7,000,000 people at the time. The young people from the states used to listen to XENK 620, which played kind of a combination of Top 40 and MOR, with DJ chat like you might hear on a combination of KRLA and KMPC.
XENK was called "Música que Llegó para Qudarse" or "Music that came to stay". It was an upper class appealing station, very MOR. Two of the stations I interned at were Top 40, one half music in English and half in Spanish (XERC-790) and the other all Spanish (XEJP-1150). I got to run the board, with union approval, at XERC sometimes.
( not like 93 KHJ which did not allow much chat). I always assumed that someone from Mexico City traveled to L.A., listened to top-rated L.A. stations, then used those as a model for XENK. But, that is my North American centrism, assuming perhaps incorrectly that everything in Latin America had to be duplicated from a USA model. -- Daryl
Some of the basic concepts were copied or adapted, but all over Latin America the idea of all forms of music with DJs and such popped up, and the concept is universal.

I did a year as an intern at Grupo Radio Centro, operators of 5 AM stations in Mexico City in 1963. I also spent about 3 months traveling through Central America, Colombia and Venezuela, visiting radio stations.

I went to Mexico because as I liked to listen to Latin American radio stations on AM late at night and particularly liked XEB-1220 which came in every night after local WGAR signed off. I'd tape it and listen to it while doing homework, going back to about 1960.

I had 5 years of Latin in school, as well as one for Fench and a year of advance HS Spanish to improve what I learned listening to station.

Mostly self taught from radio listening. For some reason, I loved Colombian cumbia music and between hearing HJED in Cali and XEB, I listened often for three or four hours a day. I'd even call XEB and request songs, and they'd have fun putting me on the air.

From age 9 or so my dad taught me to invest. At 10 I bought a Chandler & Price printing press and did job printing and furthered my investments. I had part-time at WJMO and WCUY in Cleveland, and I invested that, too.

Same exact system. There was no Top 40 station in Ecuador when I got there to do my final year of high school, so I quit school and built a station with my savings.

I got music correspondents in Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Italy, Cleveland and Argentina to get all the new releases in Top 40 music. Later, with my second station which was tropical music, I had visited Medellín, the location of the major Colombian labels, regularly and got all the new stuff sent to me, too.

I hired the best DJs from music shows at other stations. Started out with a staff of about 14 people.

I was 18 when my first station went on the air 58 years and 6 days ago.

Here I am in about 1968 at the "board" of HCRM, Radio Musical. Gates Yard, Gates Cartritape machines, Gates turntables, CBS Audimax, Reverb and EV mike.

And here I am in the manager's office. By that time, I had 5 stations in Quito.
David, Thanks so very much for taking the time to reply to all the questions.I was very interested to read this. Your career and your life story are amazing. Congratulations on all your success -- absolutely wonderful !😊 - Daryl

I worked at a station that did a secular oldies format but was owned by a ministry. "My Sweet Lord" was of course, off the table, but we as staff went to the wall over "Sweet Cherry Wine", because, well, wine. After explaining that the "wine" alluded to the blood of Jesus, The Shondells finally stayed.
Did you try to pass off "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" as "in the Garden of Eden", like on that episode of the Simpsons?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom