• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest Area Repack Developments

I wonder if W40BO, when its digital signal goes on the air, will relay WYDN's signal from Concord, NH, and go full power so those of us in the Boston/Worcester/Providence areas will still get the WYDN's signal.
I would love the idea of W40BO going full power......but where could you possibly shoe-horn them in???

Unless......they can find a way to channel-share on one of the market's existing full power stations, like the way NBC / Universal was able to share with WGBX.

Which reminds me......This might be slightly off-topic, but......

I continue to be confused about something. How the * * * * is NBC / Universal able to get away with using Virtual 10 in WYCN's branding, when there is GIGANTIC overlap between them and WJAR? Here in the New Bedford / Providence market, I've encountered more than a little confusion going on among "just folks"....meaning NOT those of us who follow the industry and post here.

I would love the idea of W40BO going full power......but where could you possibly shoe-horn them in???

Unless......they can find a way to channel-share on one of the market's existing full power stations, like the way NBC / Universal was able to share with WGBX.

I continue to be confused about something. How the * * * * is NBC / Universal able to get away with using Virtual 10 in WYCN's branding, when there is GIGANTIC overlap between them and WJAR? Here in the New Bedford / Providence market, I've encountered more than a little confusion going on among "just folks"....meaning NOT those of us who follow the industry and post here.

That's a great question, and once WJAR fires up it's non-directional antenna and gives a more powerful signal to the north and west, there will be even more confusion.

I wonder if W40BO, when its digital signal goes on the air, will relay WYDN's signal from Concord, NH, and go full power so those of us in the Boston/Worcester/Providence areas will still get the WYDN's signal.

They are really limited on their new channel, 26, to beaming eastward, due to full power WGGB Springfield, which will be moving to ch 26, and WJAR which will be on adjacent ch 25.

WJAR no doubt benefits from the free promotion of 10 by WBTS. Most of the "just folks" have long associated "Channel 10" with Providence. WBTS disregarded that with the random choice of 10, and completely confused nearly everyone with OTA channels 8.1, 15.1, 60.2, 60.5. And the cable assignments are 10 (or have a 10 in them) only on some systems.

Ask one of the "just folks" to wade thru this - the "channel finder" on the WBTS web site:

https://www.nbcboston.com/contact-us/tv-listings/boston-channel-finder-400035841.html

As of today, my TV's are showing no signal for WYDN, the Daystar station on ch. 48 (RF 47). Could anyone here verify that the signal is off the air until they move to channel share?

As of today, my TV's are showing no signal for WYDN, the Daystar station on ch. 48 (RF 47). Could anyone here verify that the signal is off the air until they move to channel share?

WYDN is on right now and the signal is normal. However the analog ch 40 translator is off, and has been for a couple of days, and is currently being converted to DTV on ch 40, to be later changed to ch 26. Possibly WYDN has been off intermittently ?

I had a weak signal on RF-40 on Sunday here in Boston, but not enough to get a picture. I haven't checked again since then.

I had a weak signal on RF-40 on Sunday here in Boston, but not enough to get a picture. I haven't checked again since then.

I still have a weak signal on RF-40 today. According to the map on RabbitEars.info, I'm within a pretty big zone for "easy indoor" reception, but the signal is too weak for a picture. Perhaps they're not yet broadcasting at their full power?

Is not tomorrow, April 23rd, the day that the stations that sold their spectrum space have to stop broadcasting on their current DTV channel? I'm still receiving WMFP on DTV 18, but can no longer get WYDN on DTV 47 since Friday. And WMFP will channel share with WWDB on Norwell, which according to the FCC TV station reception maps should give a good signal in my area, but I almost never receive the station. As far as WYDN, the are channel sharing with the ION affiliate in Concord, way to far for most in the Boston area to receive, but the station's network, Daystar, streams for free on its internet website.

Is not tomorrow, April 23rd, the day that the stations that sold their spectrum space have to stop broadcasting on their current DTV channel? I'm still receiving WMFP on DTV 18, but can no longer get WYDN on DTV 47 since Friday. And WMFP will channel share with WWDB on Norwell, which according to the FCC TV station reception maps should give a good signal in my area, but I almost never receive the station. As far as WYDN, the are channel sharing with the ION affiliate in Concord, way to far for most in the Boston area to receive, but the station's network, Daystar, streams for free on its internet website.
Unfortunately, those TV station reception maps on RabbitEars.info tend to be overly optimistic. Supposedly, I "should" be within the contour of WMFP, WWDP, and WYDN, but have never been able to receive any of these stations.

I don't know about the FCC maps. I suppose, as they say: "Your Mileage May Vary":D

With an indoor Terk antenna here on the second floor on the side of a southeast to southwest facing hill in Somerville, I'm still getting WMFP 18 (62.1) and WYDN 47 (48.1) fine. I've rarely seen WWDP 10 (46.1), only very occasionally on certain summer "troppo" nights. I used to get a weak analog signal from translator W40BO, it has been gone for a week or so.

With an indoor Terk antenna here on the second floor on the side of a southeast to southwest facing hill in Somerville, I'm still getting WMFP 18 (62.1) and WYDN 47 (48.1) fine. I've rarely seen WWDP 10 (46.1), only very occasionally on certain summer "troppo" nights. I used to get a weak analog signal from translator W40BO, it has been gone for a week or so.
WYDN is scheduled to go off today, 4/23. Its still on as of 8:45 PM. Have you rescanned, or tried to add, the new ATSC W40BO on real ch 40? (To be moved at the repack to ch 26.)

WMFP 18 (62.1) is now gone here in Somerville.

Something else must also be gone because my scan is coming up with 52 channels today, down from 54 yesterday, but the only one I see deleted on my list from yesterday is WMFP.

Something else must also be gone because my scan is coming up with 52 channels today, down from 54 yesterday, but the only one I see deleted on my list from yesterday is WMFP.

Actually 62.1 is on at 11:30 PM, but they seem to be doing something to the PSIP info. They are not going away as soon as expected. They requested and were granted another 3 month extension until July to keep 62.1 on real channel 18, due to some cable or other systems being unable to receive the anemic WWDP signal over the air - and their need to order fiber lines as an alternative.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076f916267d43b01628be74663203f

As for WYDN, they should be sharing on WPXG (transmitter in NH) as of yesterday. You should be in range of W40BO-D, but no one has mentioned actually receiving it. Like you, I received the analog ch 40 with snow, but there is no sign of the digital signal.

You might want to double check that—62.1 is still booming in here, on the North Shore!
Maybe you just caught them momentarily off‐air?

Just tried another scan at 1:30 AM, no sign of 62.1. I always got them strong with full bars until yesterday. Have they changed the transmitter location from the Route 128 Newton/Needham tower?

Where I live on the southeast to southwest side of Spring Hill in Somerville, I get TV reception from those directions, but Spring Hill rising up behind me and the even higher Winter Hill behind that blocks reception from the north.

I get the these virtual stations consistently with an indoor Terk antenna on the second floor. I know that some of these are redundant reports because they're sharing the same signals mapped to different virtuals.

WGBH 2.1, 2.2
WBZ 4.1, 4.2
WCVB 5.1, 5.2
WLNE 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 (sometimes cuts out in rainy or damp/cloudy weather)
WHDH 7.1, 7.2
WBTS-LD 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4
WJAR 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4
WYCN 15.1, 15.2
WFXZ 24.1
WFXT 25.1, 25.2, 25.3
WUTF 27.1, 27.2, 27.3, 27.4
WSBK 38.1, 38.2
WGBX 44.1, 44.3, 44.4
WWJE 50.1
WLVI 56.1, 56.2
WCEA-LD 58.1, 58.2, 58.3, 58.4, 58.5, 58.6
WUNI 66.1, 66.2, 66.3, 66.4
WBPX 68.1, 68.2, 68.3, 68.5

I occasionally get WPRI (virtual 12) and WNAC (virtual 64) from RI but not often. I've seen WWDP (virtual 46) very rarely.

I get no trace of anything north of metro Boston due to the hills behind me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom