• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest Area Repack Developments

This new development with WBTS leaves me totally confused. Supposedly, the COL is Providence, but the rabbit ears.info coverage map shows WBTS to be AT BEST....a Providence rim-shot. And....they will be transmitting from only 139 feet?? As the kids would say: "What Up Wit Dat?'.
Well...looks like Comcast / NBC got their application approved for WBTS...though I'm still baffled by the strange selection of transmitting site:

https://rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=25076f916304060601632e0a990766d5&site=1

As of I AM on 9/30 this is the legal ID

2umFSfT.jpg

Looks like NBC Boston hasn't just confused the viewers with musical channel numbers, but themselves also, since they have not been on WMFP for about 6 months...

And....unless I just don't watch it enough.....hasn't NBC Boston done away with the traditional "top-hour" ID????!!
They seem to simply "drop" it in anywhere -- in fact, I swear they've gone MORE that an hour before displaying a LEGAL ID!!
Sorry....I'm "old-school".....when CBS was running golf (before football season) on weekends, you were 99.9% certain to see a "WBZ-TV CHANNEL 4 BOSTON" super'ed RIGHT AT TOP-HOUR!!
It always made me feel good to know someone in Master Control was actually paying attention!!;)
Oh.....and in my town (central NH) there are 2 TV service providers -- Comcast and TDS Telecom......I have the latter....and NBC Boston is on channel 14 (channel 1014 HD)!!
Don't know what channel Comcast has them on......PROBABLY 10.....:rolleyes:

For the past two weeks or so I have been receiving WBTS-LP (with PSIP on channels 8.1-8.4) with a pretty strong signal a few miles east of Providence. Did WBTS-LP boost their signal? And WYCN is still pretty strong here, too.

For the past two weeks or so I have been receiving WBTS-LP (with PSIP on channels 8.1-8.4) with a pretty strong signal a few miles east of Providence. Did WBTS-LP boost their signal? And WYCN is still pretty strong here, too.

WBTS has not applied to the FCC for any changes, except for the move to Norton on ch. 36 at the repack.

That picture is definitely NOT in New England!!! As a former Alaskan, I swear it is taken from outside Anchorage in the Matanuska-Susitna borough, or perhaps on the Kenai Peninsula. Great shot however, brings back good memories of my time there.

That picture is definitely NOT in New England!!! As a former Alaskan, I swear it is taken from outside Anchorage in the Matanuska-Susitna borough, or perhaps on the Kenai Peninsula. Great shot however, brings back good memories of my time there.
Just one more reason for (? is it loyal or stubborn ?) viewers in Boston / Manchester to consider WYCN-15 / WBTS-8 as NOT "authentic".;)

KTUU, Anchorage, is NBC and broadcasts on real ch 10. Does that count? - they could use this too...

Also, it seems ComCast now just IDs them as “WBTS”, rather than “NBCBoston”.

Also, it seems ComCast now just IDs them as “WBTS”, rather than “NBCBoston”.

Yet another opportunity to confuse the viewers... They are:

1) Moving the WBTS signal to Providence at the repack, which won't be NBC once moved.

2) Moving WNEU from NH to Boston - and that has NBCBoston on ch 60-2

3) There will still be WYCN-CD (on WGBX) carrying NBCBoston on ch 15-1.

How will they juggle the channel numbers and call letters? WBTS ch 15-1 seems most logical for NBCBoston, put that on the WNEU signal, sharing on their own station? Of course there is still the agreement with WGBX, which might prefer that bandwidth back - when WGBH moves to VHF.

Yesterday WNEU filed an FCC 399 form for $2 million in repack reimbursement:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/f...&id=25076f916525c73c016548bf55535cea&goBack=N

Yet another opportunity to confuse the viewers... They are:

1) Moving the WBTS signal to Providence at the repack, which won't be NBC once moved.

2) Moving WNEU from NH to Boston - and that has NBCBoston on ch 60-2

3) There will still be WYCN-CD (on WGBX) carrying NBCBoston on ch 15-1.

How will they juggle the channel numbers and call letters? WBTS ch 15-1 seems most logical for NBCBoston, put that on the WNEU signal, sharing on their own station? Of course there is still the agreement with WGBX, which might prefer that bandwidth back - when WGBH moves to VHF.

Yesterday WNEU filed an FCC 399 form for $2 million in repack reimbursement:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/f...&id=25076f916525c73c016548bf55535cea&goBack=N

My thought has always been that they will (1) move the WBTS call letters over to the WYCN-CD license, making it WBTS-CD (which would also mean some new call letters for the current WBTS-LD); (2) begin channel-sharing with WNEU instead of WGBX-TV; (3) retain NBC and Cozi TV on WBTS-CD 15.1 and 15.2, respectively; (4) retain only Telemundo and TeleXitos on WNEU 60.1 and 60.2, respectively (which would be a move for TeleXitos from 60.3).

PSIP should take its place... except it doesn't

And....unless I just don't watch it enough.....hasn't NBC Boston done away with the traditional "top-hour" ID????!!
They seem to simply "drop" it in anywhere -- in fact, I swear they've gone MORE that an hour before displaying a LEGAL ID!!

Digital TV signals ID continuously via PSIP. However, the requirement to ID visually and/or aurally does not appear to have been removed, even though there is no longer a good reason for it.

FWIW, I noticed WSBK 38.4 is now on the air with Sinclair's "Charge!" channel. Old "action" and cop shows like "Chips" on now.
Charge! was on WMFP for a year or so when they still had their own transmitter. I thought WSBK might pick up Decades, which had been dropped from WBZ.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom