• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest Area Repack Developments

Looks like Providence Telemundo affiliate WRIW has finally found a channel-sharing partner in WPXQ-69.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076ff3630402ee016317694b4f2141

NBC / Telemundo is buying WRIW from ZGS as part of this it appears. NBC can't resist any opportunity to channel-share...

Now there will be 7 channels on WPXQ, as there are now on WPXG, leaving WBPX with only 6. Perhaps they wanted to have a bit more bandwidth available on the station with the largest population coverage? Or they could have something else in mind like a diginet? It would have been a better location for WYDN.

I wonder if this will be the new channel for Telemundo in Providence, but then the above post says they are channel sharing with WRIW. Only time will tell what this channel's affiliation will be. Maybe Daystar? Antenna TV?

Cozi TV?

I wonder if this will be the new channel for Telemundo in Providence, but then the above post says they are channel sharing with WRIW. Only time will tell what this channel's affiliation will be. Maybe Daystar? Antenna TV?
If you refer back to post #42 in this thread, you will see that WRIW has already reached an agreement to channel-share with WPXQ-69 on RF-17.

This new development with WBTS leaves me totally confused. Supposedly, the COL is Providence, but the rabbit ears.info coverage map shows WBTS to be AT BEST....a Providence rim-shot. And....they will be transmitting from only 139 feet?? As the kids would say: "What Up Wit Dat?'.

WCEA-LP Boston virtual Ch. 58 has been testing a seventh channel, 58.7, with color bars for the past week or so.

First time I've seen a station with six subchannels in addition to the main channel.

WCEA-LP Boston virtual Ch. 58 has been testing a seventh channel, 58.7, with color bars for the past week or so.

First time I've seen a station with six subchannels in addition to the main channel.

WCEA-LD should not be using virtual ch 58 at all now, since 58 is owned by full power WDPX, now sharing with WBPX. There was no overlap when WDPX was broadcasting from their original Cape location, but there is now - and therefore there are 2 OTA ch 58-1 's in much of the market. WDPX may not have noticed or not complained, but it certainly must have affected WCEA on ch 58-1, since many TV's cannot handle duplicate virtual channel numbers. Perhaps WCEA is planning to drop 58-1 and use instead 58-2 thru 58-7? I don't think that meets FCC rules, but if WDPX does not complain, it could work.

WCEA-LD should not be using virtual ch 58 at all now, since 58 is owned by full power WDPX, now sharing with WBPX. There was no overlap when WDPX was broadcasting from their original Cape location, but there is now - and therefore there are 2 OTA ch 58-1 's in much of the market. WDPX may not have noticed or not complained, but it certainly must have affected WCEA on ch 58-1, since many TV's cannot handle duplicate virtual channel numbers. Perhaps WCEA is planning to drop 58-1 and use instead 58-2 thru 58-7? I don't think that meets FCC rules, but if WDPX does not complain, it could work.

Because WCEA has a strong signal where I live in Somerville, practically line of sight of the Hancock a few miles away, I do not receive WDPX 58.1 because WCEA broadcasts on a higher actual RF channel than WDPX/WBPX. When my set encounters two channels with the same virtual number in a scan, it will assign only the one it scans last, using the higher actual RF channel, to that virtual channel. The one with the higher RF channel supersedes the one with the lower RF channel for the same virtual channel in the scan.

I saw this morning that Xfinity here in Milton has added one of ION's digital subchannels, ION Life. Looks like WCEA will be next.

I saw this morning that Xfinity here in Milton has added one of ION's digital subchannels, ION Life. Looks like WCEA will be next.[/QUOTE

ION made use of the spectrum auction to sell their over-the-air broadcast license for WDPX, ch 58, Vineyard Haven, and changed it to a shared channel on co-owned WBPX as ch 58-1. Then ION life was moved from the non-primary WBPX subchannel it had been on to being the primary and only subchannel on WDPX. WDPX then could use their must-carry rights, which remained after the move, to require cable operators to carry it.

WCEA is a low power with no must carry rights, however some cable systems carry it anyway.

I don't think I've seen either of these mentioned on here.

I noticed that WLEK-LD, licensed to Concord, NH, has applied to move from channel 22 to channel 31 (being vacated by WFXT in the repack), and to move its transmitter to Peabody, MA (or so it appears when mapped). The signal appears to be highly directional to the south, roughly covering the 128 belt. According to RabbitEars, it is currently off the air and was last affiliated with DrTV.

I also noticed that WCRN-LD, licensed to Providence, RI, has applied to move from channel 25 to channel 30, and to move its transmitter to somewhere near Sharon or Foxborough, MA. The signal appears to be highly directional to the east, roughly covering the immediate Boston area and a big chunk of the South Shore, including Brockton, and down to about Plymouth. According to RabbitEars, it is currently affiliated with AMG TV (31.1) and Diya TV (31.2).

I don't think I've seen either of these mentioned on here.

I noticed that WLEK-LD, licensed to Concord, NH, has applied to move from channel 22 to channel 31 (being vacated by WFXT in the repack), and to move its transmitter to Peabody, MA (or so it appears when mapped). The signal appears to be highly directional to the south, roughly covering the 128 belt. According to RabbitEars, it is currently off the air and was last affiliated with DrTV.

I also noticed that WCRN-LD, licensed to Providence, RI, has applied to move from channel 25 to channel 30, and to move its transmitter to somewhere near Sharon or Foxborough, MA. The signal appears to be highly directional to the east, roughly covering the immediate Boston area and a big chunk of the South Shore, including Brockton, and down to about Plymouth. According to RabbitEars, it is currently affiliated with AMG TV (31.1) and Diya TV (31.2).

WLEK-LD might be a good second signal to supplement the abysmal signal of WWDP, which has WMFP sharing on it - and WMFP is still on the air, after receiving 2 FCC extensions, due to the fact that the DirecTv uplink facility in Somerville cannot receive WWDP over the air, and is waiting for Verizon to install a direct fiber feed. If nothing else, these stations might pick up a couple of the diginets missing from the Boston market.

WLEK-LD might be a good second signal to supplement the abysmal signal of WWDP, which has WMFP sharing on it - and WMFP is still on the air, after receiving 2 FCC extensions, due to the fact that the DirecTv uplink facility in Somerville cannot receive WWDP over the air, and is waiting for Verizon to install a direct fiber feed. If nothing else, these stations might pick up a couple of the diginets missing from the Boston market.

WMFP finally shut down their RF 18 signal at midnight last night / this morning, so presumably DirecTV is able to offer Jimmy Swaggart to viewers via that fiber link. Besides that, WWDP still has both the HD and SD versions of Evine shopping, but nothing else. There must be some diginet desperate enough to make a deal...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom