• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How much of the lyrics in popular music are genuine?

Every song played in Kansas City is genuine. Nowhere else.
Well, yeah, but everything's up to date in Kansas City. They gone about as fer as they can go.

They went an' built a skyscraper seven stories high. About as high as a buildin' orta grow.

Everything's like a dream in Kansas City. It's better than a magic lantern show.

You can turn the radiator on whenever you want some heat. With every kind of comfort every house is all complete.

You could walk the privees in the rain and never wet your feet! They've gone about as fer as they can go.

Aside from artistic license being taken, there have been tons of songs written that were maybe based in fact, but certain events or names or cities/locations were changed as it was more important for the writer to come up with a hook or lyrics that rhymed, rather than keeping the story their song was telling accurate to the actual events that occurred. Going waaayyy back, if I'm not mistaken, Billy Joel once explained that, while his song "Piano Man" was based on real people/experiences he had when starting out singing in piano bars, some of their names and other details were changed to make the lyrics work out better.

Fun fact: While Joel is stuck singing that song during every concert and performance and it's long been a standard for pianists and guitarists in pubs around the world, Joel personally isn't a fan of that song musically.

Well, yeah, but everything's up to date in Kansas City. They gone about as fer as they can go.

They went an' built a skyscraper seven stories high. About as high as a buildin' orta grow.

Everything's like a dream in Kansas City. It's better than a magic lantern show.

You can turn the radiator on whenever you want some heat. With every kind of comfort every house is all complete.

You could walk the privees in the rain and never wet your feet! They've gone about as fer as they can go.
They got crazy little women there, too.

Good Lord! You mean to say that all my favorite song lyrics aren't based on actual experiences of the artist?? Next you'll be telling me there is no Tooth Fairy, or Easter Bunny.
Well, I'll bet that all the music on KCKC are exclusively from the artist's lived experiences. o_O

Last edited:
Elton didn’t even write those songs. That credit goes to Bernie Taupin.
Well, Elton wrote the music and Bernie wrote the lyrics, and if I’d said “Bernie Taupin wasn’t burning out his fuse up there alone”, somebody would have said “who?” and it would have been a whole thing, not unlike this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom