• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How much of the lyrics in popular music are genuine?

On the other hand, when the Beatles declared "She loves you, yeah yeah yeah," some teen, somewhere, probably stared at his radio in disbelief and said "That's right! She DOES love me! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! How did they know?"

And then there's Kokomo. Sorry, couldn't resist.
It's a city in Indiana, right?

(No palm trees and tiki bars, either, right?)

Who knew an industrial small city in Indiana would inspire a hit song
It didn't. There's a community in Hawaii called Kokomo. Trouble is the song's lyrics say:

Off the Florida Keys
There's a place called Kokomo

So Mike Love (one of the Beach Boys, but only one of four writers of the song---the others include the late Terry Melcher, Doris Day's son, John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas and Scott ("San Francisco") McKenzie) lied.

It didn't. There's a community in Hawaii called Kokomo. Trouble is the song's lyrics say:

Off the Florida Keys
There's a place called Kokomo

So Mike Love (one of the Beach Boys, but only one of four writers of the song---the others include the late Terry Melcher, Doris Day's son, John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas and Scott ("San Francisco") McKenzie) lied.
And... "off the Florida Keys" reminds me that the only island at all nearby is Cuba. That's not a place that inspires thoughts of trick bottle juggling bartenders and Tom Cruise.

And... "off the Florida Keys" reminds me that the only island at all nearby is Cuba. That's not a place that inspires thoughts of trick bottle juggling bartenders and Tom Cruise.
Well, Aruba, Jamaica, Bermuda, Bahama---all get name-checked, so I guess we shouldn't be taking any of this too seriously.

Well, Aruba, Jamaica, Bermuda, Bahama---all get name-checked, so I guess we shouldn't be taking any of this too seriously.
And Bermuda is about 1,200 miles from Key West, so even that is as strange as saying Aruba, Jamaica, Tucson, Bahamas...

Who knew an industrial small city in Indiana would inspire a hit song
Maybe not a hit song in modern times, but Kokomo, Indiana was the basis for a couple of blues songs. Madlyn Davis' Kokola Blues (1927) and Scrapper Blackwell's Kokomo Blues (1928) reference the city. The former included the following lyrics:

And it's hey, hey baby, baby don't you want to go
Back to that eleven light city, back to sweet Kokomo

Those lyrics were commandeered by Robert Johnson almost a decade later for his Sweet Home Chicago, which is an all-time classic. Johnson, BTW, never set foot in Chicago his entire life.

So a small industrial city in Indiana indirectly did inspire one of the greatest blues/blues-rock songs of all time. :D

So a small industrial city in Indiana indirectly did inspire one of the greatest blues/blues-rock songs of all time. :D
I just learned something new and interesting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom