• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How much of the lyrics in popular music are genuine?

"Lubbock, Savannah, come on sweet Louanna..."
"Pascagoula, Pensacola, Largo, Apalachicola... " and the song title is simply "Redneck Riviera".

Steel guitars rust on salt water beaches.

Maybe not a hit song in modern times, but Kokomo, Indiana was the basis for a couple of blues songs. Madlyn Davis' Kokola Blues (1927) and Scrapper Blackwell's Kokomo Blues (1928) reference the city. The former included the following lyrics:

And it's hey, hey baby, baby don't you want to go
Back to that eleven light city, back to sweet Kokomo

Those lyrics were commandeered by Robert Johnson almost a decade later for his Sweet Home Chicago, which is an all-time classic. Johnson, BTW, never set foot in Chicago his entire life.

So a small industrial city in Indiana indirectly did inspire one of the greatest blues/blues-rock songs of all time. :D
Very cool! (and they made Delco radios there)

It depends. Some song lyrics are formula written, and may have no genuine meaning behind them. Others might be personal and autobiographical, and maybe the writer changes a few lines to make it less personal because he or she may think those lines might turn off the listener -- or maybe the writer leaves those lines in because they may sound better or may be easier to sing.

A lot of autobiographical songs can be stream of consciousness in type, and the writer doesn't know the actual meaning until after he or she wrote it. Donovan (a 1960's pop artist) mentioned this. Writers, like other artists, can sort of get in the 'zone' and sometimes lines pop out of your head and they all fit together well, and when you're done you're still figuring out what the entire song means. But if it sounds good, and is easy to sing, a lot of times you keep it as is. I've read some interviews where songwriters talk about this sort of thing.

Chris Cornell of Soundgarden wrote personal stuff, but his lyrics were so stream of consciousness in form he could tell you what the general idea of the song was, but he said that he liked to keep the lyrics intact even if he wasn't sure what he meant by them, because "by the time the song gets inside the listener's head, it becomes theirs anyway." He mentioned that some of his fans' interpretations of his more poetic lyrics seemed to make more sense than anything he may have intended while writing the songs.

In other words, what the song means to the listener can have more importance than what it meant to the writer.

Oh, God. Do we now have to wonder if both Chimp and tall_guy1 are putting us on?
Wonder? No, we're reading it - in near-real-time.
I don't think that's even possible for Chimp. tall_guy is all over the road anyway.
My wonder is, are they having a nightmare, waking up, and writing down these queries to ask the masses??

This is why I wanted to have a separate folder for threads about songs and music. That way, people who consider themselves superior to talking about music can instead talk about how many watts and in what direction every U.S. transmitter is set to emit signals, including daytime and nighttime wattage. Also, they can break down all the legal minutiae of the contract drawn by Audacy lawyers to sell stations in Buffalo.

For listeners, songwriting is a valid topic.

The topic of radio and broadcasting is such a wide field, that there are dozens of sub-topics, including all kinds of technical issues, like transmitters, and topics of culture and the arts, like music and songwriting.

This is why I wanted to have a separate folder for threads about songs and music. That way, people who consider themselves superior to talking about music can instead talk about how many watts and in what direction every U.S. transmitter is set to emit signals, including daytime and nighttime wattage. Also, they can break down all the legal minutiae of the contract drawn by Audacy lawyers to sell stations in Buffalo.

The topic of radio and broadcasting is such a wide field, that there are dozens of sub-topics, including all kinds of technical issues, like transmitters, and topics of culture and the arts, like music and songwriting.
But then you're talking about a forum for topics completely unrelated to radio rather than indirectly related. The old XMFan board created a forum for politics. A horse racing board I used to participate in created one for baseball. Both of those were boards specifically for fans. Elected officials and baseball executives weren't posting on them, even in the political and baseball forums. This board's primary function is to give broadcasting professionals a place to discuss their profession; fans are very much secondary users. If Frank wants to set up a forum for the discussion of music (with subforums for particular genres, songwriting, etc.), I wouldn't complain, but I'm not particularly surprised that he hasn't and won't be upset if he never does. Stay in your lane.

Songs are a part of radio on the FM dial thus included in the National radio forum.

But then you're talking about a forum for topics completely unrelated to radio rather than indirectly related. The old XMFan board created a forum for politics. A horse racing board I used to participate in created one for baseball. Both of those were boards specifically for fans. Elected officials and baseball executives weren't posting on them, even in the political and baseball forums. This board's primary function is to give broadcasting professionals a place to discuss their profession; fans are very much secondary users. If Frank wants to set up a forum for the discussion of music (with subforums for particular genres, songwriting, etc.), I wouldn't complain, but I'm not particularly surprised that he hasn't and won't be upset if he never does. Stay in your lane.
I am perfectly happy to comply with the decisions of board moderators. That's fine - no problem ! I'm happy to be here & learning so much from everyone. :)

But I don't get all the comments from disgruntled people who think that this topic is not valid.

Recorded music is part of the working capital of a radio station. That's the product they use to attract a listening audience. Station management needs to be involved with songs and music, because that is what they are offering to their listeners. If they own a station with a music format, then the music is what helps them earn money. The music is part of their means of production.

That's a very different situation than a horse racing board that suddenly decides to have a forum about baseball. Those are unrelated topics. Horse racing can be discussed without ever mentioning baseball. But because so many radio stations earn money from playing music, those two topics are very closely related.

Music is directly related to broadcasting, unless you're operating an AM talk station. But David says that only 5% of all listeners are tuning in to AM talk radio, whether it's news or sports or political commentary.

I bring this up, because there are many comments here from people who are disgruntled about this topic. However, I think it is a valid topic, because it relates to programming decisions. JMO.

Last edited:
But recorded music is part of the working capital of a radio station. That's the product they use to attract a listening audience. Station management needs to be involved with songs and music, because that is what they are offering to their listeners.

Station management needs to be involved with sales to make sure everyone on staff continues to get paid. They don't get involved in music, picking songs, or anything like that. There is a completely different staff that deals with music issues. Different people have different areas of expertise. But the top management shouldn't be listening to music. They should be dealing with the community, spending time with other local businessmen, attending community meetings, and representing their business.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom